Patient and Family Resources
We want you to have all the information you and your child need to understand your child’s condition and to participate in treatment. This page provides links to resources that we hope will be helpful.
Resources at Seattle Children’s
- What to expect at Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
- How to prepare for your visit
- Transportation and places to stay
- Hospital services
- Paying for care
- Social Work
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (Video. 7:09)
Dr. Vincent Mosca talks about oligoarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis. It is linked with eye problems (iritis and blindness) that doctors can prevent by diagnosing and treating your child early.
Concussion Video Series
This 4-part video series explains what a concussion is, how to prevent concussions and how to help your child recover.
Concussion (Video. 0:30)
This video features Dr. Samuel R. Browd defining concussion, listing the signs and urging you to get medical care right away if you think your child may have a concussion.
Advice for Teens Recovering From a Concussion (Video. 3:16)
When you have a concussion, you need to get both physical and mental rest. Dr. Monique Burton goes over several things your teen can do to make sure they allow enough time for healing.
Concussions in Teens (Video. 2:19)
Concussions are one of the most common sports injuries seen in football, soccer and basketball. Dr. Monique Burton explains how you can get a concussion and what signs to look for.
Tips on Preventing Concussions (Video. 2:56)
Dr. Richard Ellenbogen offers tips for preventing concussions in children.
Learn more about concussions at Seattle Children’s.
- Femoral Torsion (PDF)
- Clubfoot Correction: Using Casting Followed by Shoes on a Bar (Ponseti Method) (PDF) (Spanish)
- Bo’s Cherub Feet (PDF)
- The Ponseti Method for Clubfoot Correction: Information for Parents (PDF)
- Pie Zambo: El Método de Ponseti (PDF)
Correcting Club Feet (Video. 4:02)
The TV program Mending Our Kids offers a look into Seattle Children's orthopedic clinic and the lives of several children being treated there, like a baby born with clubfeet.
What Parents Should Know About Flatfeet, Intoeing, Bent Legs and Shoes for Children (Video. 6:38)
Dr. Lynn Staheli covers common differences in infants and children, like flatfeet, intoeing and bent legs. He gives tips for choosing the best shoes for children. You can also read this information (PDF) (Spanish).
A Case of Kniest Dysplasia (Video. 5:16)
The TV program Mending Our Kids offers a look into Seattle Children's orthopedic clinic and the lives of several children being treated there, like a girl with Kniest dysplasia, a type of dwarfism.
- Scoliosis (PDF) (Spanish)
- Scoliosis Surgery (PDF) (Spanish) (Russian)
- Mehta Casting (PDF) (Spanish)
- Care After Scoliosis Surgery (PDF) (Spanish)
- Preparing for Kyphoscoliosis Surgery With Halo-Gravity Traction (PDF)
- Schroth Method for Scoliosis (PDF)
- Idiopathic scoliosis in children and adolescents
- Spinal fusion for the treatment of idiopathic scoliosis in children
- Achilles Tendonitis (PDF)
- Ankle Sprain (PDF)
- Graft Choices for ACL Surgery in Youth (PDF) (Spanish)
- Little League Shoulder (PDF) (Spanish)
- Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease (PDF)
- Osgood-Schlatter Syndrome (PDF)
- Patellar Tendonitis (PDF)
- Patellofemoral Syndrome (PDF)
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis (PDF)
- Safe Moves to Save Your Back (PDF) (Spanish)
- Sever’s Syndrome (PDF)
- Sinding-Larsen-Johansson Syndrome (PDF)
- Care After Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgery (PDF) (Chinese) (Russian) (Somali) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Sports medicine videos
- Acute Pain (PDF) (Amharic) (Arabic) (Chinese) (Japanese) (Oromo) (Russian) (Somali) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Arthroscopic Surgery (PDF) (Spanish)
- Broken Arm: Care After Surgery (PDF) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Care After Hand or Arm Surgery (PDF) (Chinese) (Russian) (Spanish)
- Care After Lower Extremity Orthopedic Surgery (PDF) (Russian) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Cast Care: Care and Removal of a Fiberglass or Plaster Cast (PDF) (Russian) (Simplified Chinese) (Somali) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- How to Remove your Child’s Long Arm Bivalve Cast: Instructions for home (PDF) (Spanish)
- How to Make a Splint: Instructions for home (PDF) (Spanish)
- How to Remove Your Child’s Bivalve Short Arm Cast (PDF) (Spanish)
- Constipation After Surgery (PDF) (Spanish)
- How to Move Your Child in a Hip Spica Cast with a Trapeze (PDF) (Spanish)
- Spica Cast Care (PDF) (Russian) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Using Crutches (PDF) (Spanish)
- What to Wear for X-ray (PDF) (Spanish)
Myths and Facts About Medical Scan Radiation (Video. 8:33)
Dr. Kenneth Gundle gives a quick rundown on myths and facts about radiation exposure, especially from tests and scans, like X-rays.
The Global-HELP Organization is devoted to making healthcare information accessible worldwide. The publications section of this website includes many resources for parents and healthcare providers.
Recommended Orthopedic Websites (Video. 5:59)
Dr. Kenneth Gundle covers some useful websites for families or those studying or working in orthopedics.
Seven Features to Guide Selecting the Best Shoes for Your Child (Video. 5:16)
Dr. Lynn Staheli describes the seven different criteria for good shoes for children.
For providers: Orthopedics and sports medicine videos. Current and former Seattle Children’s experts discuss how to evaluate and treat pediatric orthopedic conditions.
- Bike and Multi-Sport Helmets: Quick-Fit Check (PDF) (Spanish)
- Helmets for Winter Sports (PDF) (Spanish)
- Injury Prevention Screenings (PDF)
- Prevent sports injuries in children and teens
- Preventing and treating basketball injuries
- Safe Moves to Save Your Back (PDF) (Spanish)
- Safety gear for sports and play
Keeping Young Athletes in the Game (Video. 51:57)
In this KOMO TV special, host Molly Shen shares stories of how the team at Seattle Children’s helps kids stay in the game amidst sports injuries and healthcare conditions. The program covers areas such as ACL injuries, asthma, nutrition, scoliosis and concussions and features several Seattle Children’s experts.
Preventing Sports Injuries (Video. 1:42)
In this video, Dr. Cora Breuner explains ways to prevent sports injuries in children.
Providers, see how to refer a patient.