Working from Home and Remote Access Help
Many of the tools and technologies we use at Seattle Children’s are adaptable for working remotely. Find information here to help you get connected and work more effectively. If you need help, please call the Service Desk at 206-987-1111.
When working remotely, the security of your home WiFi network is very important. Learn how to secure your network against attackers.
If this is your first time connecting to Seattle Children’s network remotely, you’ll need to install Citrix and set up remote access using Okta. Follow the instructions below.
- Citrix Workspace Install (PDF)
- How to Set Up Okta Verify: See Access Seattle Children's Network with Okta Verify below.
Send and receive Jabber messages from your smartphone. And, if you already have a Children’s dedicated phone number, you may be able to get those calls on your smartphone.
- Jabber Mobile Tips (PDF)
Use Teams to connect and communicate.
- Microsoft Teams Tips (PDF)
Here’s a tip for using Zoom for telehealth.
Running Zoom & CIS (PDF)
Access Seattle Children’s Network With Okta Verify
Okta Verify ensures the security of protected patient health information (PHI), and works on your smartphone or mobile device to provide remote access to Seattle Children’s network. Follow the instructions below to get started. (Remote access using Gemalto is no longer available.)
How to Set Up Okta Verify
Follow these steps to start using the Okta Verify app. Contact the Help Desk at 206-987-1111 if you have questions.
If you already have Okta Verify but change mobile phones, you must start by contacting the Help Desk to have your access reset. Then follow the steps below to set up the new device.
Visit the app store for your phone and search for Okta Verify (not Okta Mobile). Install Okta Verify on your phone (Apple, Windows or Google).
You can also use Okta Verify on your Android or Apple Watch. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your watch.
After you log into your computer or VDI, visit the remote portal. (You can also reach Okta Verify here.)
Register using your Seattle Children’s email address (if you have one) or (if you don’t have one) your UserID@seattlechildrens.org and network password.
If your email address has changed, you might need to use the original address, such as Bob.Smith@seattlechildrens.org instead of Robert.Smith@seattlechildrens.org.
While this process is easiest to complete onsite, you can also do it remotely. When you log in onsite, the system may ask for your password again. This is expected and you should enter it.
If this is your first time visiting Okta, complete the following steps now and you’ll be set to take advantage of self-service options if you have trouble logging on in the future.
- Enter a phone number and add text message verification for password recovery.
- Add a secondary email address also good for password recovery.
- You only need to choose one method for password recovery.
- Choose a security image.
- Select “Create my account.”
Your name appears in the upper right corner. Click on your name.
Select “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
Now that you are logged into Okta and in the Settings window, scroll almost to the bottom of this page to the “Extra Verification” section.
Select “Setup” next to Okta Verify.
Select your device type and “Next.”
A QR code will display.
Launch the Okta Verify app.
Select “Add Account” or the “+” icon to turn the camera on.
Hold your phone so the QR code fits inside the box on the screen. Once captured, the QR code disappears.
If you see this image, your phone is now registered to your Okta account and you can close the app.
You can ignore the 6-digit code on the screen.
On a remote computer, laptop or tablet (but not your smartphone), visit the remote portal and enter your Seattle Children’s email address (if you have one) or (if you don’t have one) UserID@seattlechildrens.org (with your own user ID) and network password to sign in.
Still on your computer or tablet, select “Send Push.”
Your phone will launch the app automatically. (Tap “Accept” if your phone asks before launching the app.)
Tap “Approve” on your phone and the remote portal will load on your computer or device.
The final step will be to install Citrix Workspace on your computer. Proceed to the next section.
- UserID@seattlechildrens.org is not an email address. This is only your username for logging in remotely if you do not have a Seattle Children’s email address.
- If this is the first time you are using this device for remote access, you will need to download and install Citrix. Navigate to receiver.citrix.com and select “Download for....” Follow the prompts to complete the process.
- Once setup is complete and you have the app on your smartphone, you can easily access and use it on Android and Apple Watches.
- If you get a new phone, you must call the Service Desk to reset your verification. Then follow the setup instructions in the steps above.
- How to Set Up Okta Verify (PDF) includes the above instructions with visual aids.
- Watch “How to Install Okta Verify From App Store and Set Up Okta Verify” (1:18).
- Watch “How to Log Into the Remote Portal From Your PC” (1:46).
Need more help?
If problems persist, please call the Service Desk at 206-987-1111.