Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Why Choose Us
Nationally Recognized Excellence
In 2020, U.S. News & World Report once again named Seattle Children’s among the nation’s best pediatric hospitals. Our Gastroenterology Program is one of the top-ranked programs of its kind in the United States, which means your child will be cared for by the very best.
Advanced Treatments and Compassionate Care
- Our number-one goal is to get your child back to growing, learning and doing the things your child loves best.
- Our Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center brings a team of specialists together in one place to give your child and family effective and complete care.
- We have the only liver, liver transplant and small bowel transplant programs for children in the Pacific Northwest, as well as the only bowel rehabilitation program.
- Dr. Lusine Ambartsumyan provides accurate diagnosis and comprehensive care for children and adolescents with motility disorders.
- We offer pediatric therapeutic endoscopy, including ERCP, a treatment that helps some children avoid open surgery.
We Treat the Whole Child
- You know your child best. We'll discuss treatments in ways that you can understand, so that you and your child are involved in every decision.
- We treat your whole child, not just their symptoms. Members of our team have special training not only in their field, but also in the unique needs of children and adolescents. We know that gastrointestinal and liver problems affect children and teens differently than adults.
- Our psychologist can help your child understand and cope with illness.
- Our team includes specialists in adolescent medicine to address the specific physical, mental and emotional needs of adolescents.
- Medicine isn't always the answer for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Diet plays a big role. We offer options such as exclusive enteral nutrition and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), always with the guidance of pediatric dietitians.
- Whenever possible, we use diagnostic methods that use low or no radiation, such as ultrasound and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).
Experts Together in One Place
- Our team includes pediatric gastroenterologists, hepatologists (liver specialists), dietitians, surgeons, psychologists, nurses, social workers and child life specialists.
- We coordinate your appointments so that you can see multiple providers in a single visit.
- Based on your child's needs, your team will work with other Seattle Children's experts, such as immunologists, allergists and radiologists.
We’re Developing Better Treatments
- We are actively researching and developing new treatments, transforming the care provided to children with gastrointestinal and liver conditions across the country. That means our patients have access to the most current, state-of-the-art-therapies.
- Dr. David Suskind is co-leading the first large national study of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) to treat IBD. The study investigates 2 versions of the SCD to see if they reduce symptoms and inflammation.
- We're part of the Hepatitis B Research Network (HBRN). This is a group of seven pediatric centers around the country collecting data to learn more about hepatitis B, and using innovative therapies to treat this persistent infection.
- We are involved in research providing the most advanced therapies for persistent hepatitis C and other liver diseases.
- We're one of just 14 pediatric hospitals around the world participating in a National Institutes of Health (NIH)-funded study on childhood pancreatitis.
- We're able to offer many therapies that are only available through clinical studies.
When You Need Us, We're Here for You
- We offer same- or next-day appointments for urgent cases.
- For your convenience, our providers see patients in many locations. You can come to our main campus in Seattle, or our clinics in Bellevue, Everett, Federal Way, Olympia and Richland.