Refer a Patient
How to Refer a Patient
If your patient is new to Seattle Children’s Autism Center, we typically schedule an initial visit to determine their diagnostic and care planning needs. The first visit determines the next steps, which could be a diagnostic evaluation or referrals to Autism Center services or to programs in the community. Patients referred specifically to the Fast-Track Psychiatric Consultation Program are not required to have an initial care-planning visit first.
If you are unsure about whether to refer your patient, please call our Clinical Intake Nurses at 206-987-2080, option 1.
Updated December 2022.
Wait times differ by service and, for some services, by patient age. We recommend that families call 206-987-8080 to verify that we have received the referral. When they call, we will be able let them know the current wait time for the service they’ve been referred for.
Please submit a referral that is complete. This helps us schedule your patient’s appointment in a timely manner and ensure their first visit is smooth and productive.
- Service/specialty clinic requested (see Autism Center treatments and services)
- Reason for referral: What is the clinical question for the specialist? (specifics help us match your patient with an appropriate service more quickly)
- Autism diagnosis status: Needs autism evaluation, has a provisional diagnosis
- Any other relevant diagnosis
- Visit type:
- New patient consult, transfer of care, or return visit/ongoing care
- ALL relevant clinical documents:
- Clinic notes
- Previous specialty evaluations (for example, previous autism/developmental, mental health or educational evaluations/IEP)
- Medication history
- Helpful if available, but not required:
- Growth charts/curves
- Lab reports
- Imaging and diagnostic reports (images can be uploaded to PowerShare)
- Patient’s full name, DOB, sex, address, guardian contact information and insurance
- Referring provider’s name, phone, fax and the referral coordinator’s email address so that we may contact you if additional information is needed
- If an interpreter is needed
- Any known barriers to performing a successful telehealth (video) visit with the family
- Supplemental questionnaire if you are referring your patient to:
Submit a referral
- Fax a New Appointment Request Form (NARF) (PDF, DOC) to 206-985-3121 or 866-985-3121 (toll free).
- Instead of fax, you can use EpicCare Link, an online way to submit referrals and track referral status. Getting started with EpicCare Link.
We’re committed to partnering with you
Meet the Autism team.
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children’s.
What Your Patients Can Expect
- Once we get your referral, your patient will be in our queue to review and schedule. Many services may have a long wait.
- We encourage families to call 206-987-8080 to verify that we have received the referral. They can ask to be added to a cancellation list. The family will remain on the cancellation list until they get an appointment. When the family calls, we will be able to let them know the current wait time for the service they’ve been referred for.
- As openings become available, we call families to schedule in the order the referral was received.
Even if we do not have openings right away, there are many resources through Seattle Children’s and in the community that can help.
Your patient may be able to take part in our research and clinical trials even if they have to wait for an appointment. To learn more about how to get involved, your patients can call 206-987-7917 or email us.
Resources for Providers
- Partnership Access Line (PAL): Telephone-based child mental health consultation system for primary care doctors, nurse practitioners and physician assistants throughout Alaska, Washington and Wyoming
- Autism Evaluation Providers in the Northwest (Spanish): Options outside of Seattle Children’s for a diagnostic evaluation
- See our clinic’s Patient and Family Resources
To suggest additional resources from Seattle Children’s that would be useful to primary care providers, please email us.