Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine
Home Ventilation Program
The home ventilation program cares for children who require assistance with breathing using a ventilator through a tracheostomy. Some children require ventilation throughout their life, and others require it for a period of a few years while growth or healing takes place.
What services do we offer?
The home ventilation clinic cares for children with a wide variety of diagnoses, including: bronchopulmonary dysplasia (premature lung disease), airway and lung malformations, interstitial lung disease, congenital central hypoventilation syndrome (CCHS) and other neurologic disorders with abnormal breathing control or breathing muscle weakness. Our goal is to give your child the best opportunity to grow, develop and participate in life with your family while receiving optimal breathing support.
During a clinic visit, your child will see several team members to address multiple pieces of their care:
- We will evaluate how well the ventilator is supporting your child’s breathing, and if adjustments are needed.
- We will evaluate how well your child is breathing on their own, and discuss if they are ready to reduce ventilator support.
- We will help resolve issues with poorly functioning equipment.
- We will discuss any unexpected safety events at home related to the tracheostomy or breathing equipment.
- We will review your child’s growth and nutrition.
- We will do what we can to encourage eating and speaking, if your child is able.
- We will assist with in-home nursing support, if necessary.
- We will help you navigate school and community systems if issues arise.
Why choose Seattle Children’s?
Seattle Children’s is one of the best pediatric pulmonary programs in the nation. We care for children across the entire state of Washington, and into Montana, Alaska and Idaho, from large cities to very small towns. We have cared for the sickest patients in this region, and make it our priority to optimize their care at home. Our team of specialists will work closely with your child and family starting in the hospital, continuing through the duration of their ventilator needs, and beyond.
Meet the Home Ventilation Program Team
- Maida Chen, MD
- Jason Debley, MD, MPH
- Ronald Gibson, MD, PhD
- Stephen Reeves, MD, PhD
- Amanda Striegl, MD, MS
Registered nurse case managers
- Annie Fretwell, BSN, RN
- Almita Magbalot, BSN, RN
- Susan Casey, RD, CD
- Regina Nagy-Steinert, RD, CD
- Amy Hook, RRT, CPFT
- Ernest Liu, RRT- NPS
- Thuy Ngo, RRT
- Elizabeth Andes, LSWAIC