Visiting Elective Program in Pediatric Surgery for Underrepresented in Medicine Surgical Residents
This Visiting Elective Scholarship Program is a unique opportunity for fourth year General Surgery residents who are underrepresented in medicine and surgery and are interested in pursuing a career in Pediatric Surgery and/or Pediatric Surgery subspecialties (Transplant, Colorectal, Oncology, etc.)
This scholarship will be awarded to two 4th year General Surgery residents annually. The elective is a one-month experience in October and April months annually. Residents will spend this time with the Pediatric General Surgery service at Seattle Children’s Hospital, a premiere free standing children’s hospital and one of the original 15 pediatric surgery training programs in the United States. The resident will be integrated into the service including rounding on the ward and ICU patients, spending time in the operating room, and participation in educational conferences. The resident will serve as acting Junior Pediatric Surgery fellow for these months. In addition to clinical exposure, this experience will provide exposure to mentorship and longitudinal assistance with career development from our Pediatric Surgery faculty. The resident’s home institution will still be responsible for resident salary, benefits, and liability coverage. An additional stipend of $2500 is included for travel, housing expenses, and meals.
- Increase exposure to Pediatric Surgery for residents underrepresented in General Surgery
- Enhance resident awareness of opportunities in academic medicine
- Provide specific mentoring and networking for underrepresented residents
Applicants for these funded positions should demonstrate academic excellence, leadership, and extracurricular experience, and must come from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in medicine and surgery including African American/Black, Alaska Native, American Indian, Hispanic/Latinx, Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders, and Southeast Asian descent. Those who apply to the program should be residents who are highly motivated to pursue a career in Pediatric Surgery. Residents must be in good standing at an ACGME accredited General Surgery United States residency program. Applicants must provide the following:
- Brief statement of interest in Pediatric Surgery and the visiting rotation at Seattle Children’s Hospital (1000 word limit) reviewing your reasons for wanting to participate, your career goals, and how this experience would enhance those goals.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from a clinical faculty member.
- Completed Diversity Funded Elective Application.
We will start accepting applications April 1, 2023 for the AY23-AY24 year. Applicants will be notified by June 16, 2023 of acceptance. Application materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.