Cystic Fibrosis Program
Patient and Family Resources
We want you to have all the information you and your child need to understand your child’s condition and to participate in treatment. This page provides links to resources we hope will be helpful.
Resources at Seattle Children’s
- What to expect at the Cystic Fibrosis Program
- How to prepare for your visit
- Transportation and lodging
- Hospital services
- Paying for care
- Social Work
- Center for Children with Special Needs
Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Resources
- Developmental Guide for Your Child with Cystic Fibrosis: Birth to 2 years (PDF)
- Developmental Guide for Your Child with Cystic Fibrosis: 2 to 4 years (PDF)
- Developmental Guide for Your Child with Cystic Fibrosis: 4 to 6 years (PDF)
- Developmental Guide for Your Child with Cystic Fibrosis: 7 to 9 years (PDF)
- Developmental Guide for Your Child with Cystic Fibrosis: 10 to 12 years (PDF)
- My Cystic Fibrosis Care Checklist: 13 to 14 years (PDF)
- My Cystic Fibrosis Care Checklist: 15 to 17 years (PDF)
- Developmental Guide for Your Child with Cystic Fibrosis: Ages 18 to 21 (PDF)
Exercise and CF
- Cystic Fibrosis Exercise Program (PDF)
- Exercise and Muscle Group Definitions for the “Exercise Your Future: Staying Fit With Cystic Fibrosis” Video (PDF)
- Exercise Your Future: Staying Fit With CF – Toddler (PDF) (Spanish)
- Exercise Your Future: Staying Fit With CF – School-Age (PDF)
- Exercise Your Future: Staying Fit With CF – Adolescent (PDF)
Respiratory therapy for CF
- Acapella Therapy (PDF) (Spanish)
- Aerobika Therapy (PDF) (Spanish)
- A Look at the Lungs and Percussion Techniques (PDF) (Russian) (Spanish)
- An Introduction to Airway Clearance Techniques (CF Foundation)
- Chest Physical Therapy (PDF) (Russian)
- Chest Physical Therapy (CPT) Infant/Modified Positions (PDF) (Russian) (Spanish)
- Chest Physical Therapy Standard Positions (PDF) (Russian) (Spanish)
- Flutter Therapy (PDF) (Spanish)
- Nebulizers: Every Medication Should Have Its Own Nebulizer (PDF) (Spanish)
- Respiratory Equipment Cleaning Instruction for Home (PDF)
- Respiratory Treatment Order (PDF) (Spanish)
CF tests and other resources
- Chloride Sweat Test (PDF)
- Going to the Hospital for a CF Lung Exacerbation (PDF)
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) for CF-Related Diabetes (PDF)
General Cystic Fibrosis Resources
The following books are available for checkout at our Family Resource Center, or through online booksellers.
- An Introduction to Cystic Fibrosis: For Patients and Families (2013). James Cunningham, MD, and CF Foundation.
Guide for patients and families. Provides definition of CF and how it affects the various parts of the body and discusses living with CF. Sixth edition. Available as a PDF.
- Cystic Fibrosis: A Guide for Patient and Family (2012). David Orenstein.
Offers practical information on day-to-day concerns, such as school, travel, exercise, nutrition, medications, physiological effects, long-term issues and prospects of a cure. Provides answers to frequently asked questions by patients and families. Fourth edition.
- Parenting Children With Health Issues (2007). Foster Cline, MD, and Lisa Greene.
Principles of parenting a child with special health issues. Also covers growth and development, siblings, emotional health and mental health topics.
Support Groups and Classes
Workshops for siblings of kids with developmental needs and/or special health concerns, including cystic fibrosis.
Happy Heart Families
Educational website providing practical information and offering teleclasses for parents of children with CF.
Network assisting fathers as they become more competent and compassionate caregivers for their children with special needs.
Seattle-Area CF Parent Group
This parent-led group gives parents and grandparents of children with CF in the Seattle area a way to connect with each other.