Heart Center Clinic
Seattle Children's Heart Center Clinic
You most likely have many questions about how to prepare for your child’s visit to Seattle Children’s Heart Center Clinic. Get more information about your child's clinic visit, including:
- Important things to do before the appointment
- Tips on preparing your child for the upcoming visit
- Paperwork and other things to remember the day of the appointment
- Suggested questions to ask your child’s doctor
- How to prepare for care at home
Where should we go?
- Use one of the Ocean entrances and take an Ocean elevator to level 6.
- You will check in at the Ocean 6 entrance desk. Patient and family safety is a priority, so you will be asked for a form of photo identification at the entrance desk. Using your identification, the greeter will create a temporary pass to be worn during your visit.
- Our greeters will then send you to register your child at the Ocean 6 registration desk.
What happens during our first visit?
During registration, your child will receive an armband for identification and safety.
After you register your child, you will need to fill out a medical history form. It is helpful if you bring a complete list of current medications or the actual medication bottles. The list should include the medication name, dosage and frequency. Interpreters can assist you with this, if needed.
Next, you will go into an exam room where a nurse or medical assistant (MA) will take your child’s height, weight and vital signs (blood pressure, oxygen saturation, heart rate and respiratory rate).
Then, you will meet with one of our heart doctors (pediatric cardiologists) for a complete evaluation. You will spend 15 to 30 minutes with your heart doctor reviewing your child’s and family’s health history. The heart doctor will also perform a physical exam during the visit.
As part of the evaluation, your child may need to have an electrocardiogram (ECG) or an echocardiogram. Both tests are performed within the clinic by trained professionals. The MA will perform the ECG and a sonographer will perform the echocardiogram. Your child’s heart doctor will review the results of both tests and provide you with the results during the visit.
What happens after the appointment?
At the end of the visit, you will receive a Clinic Visit Summary. This summary reviews your clinic appointment and the next steps to be taken in the care of your child. Should your child need cardiology follow-up, please stop by the Ocean 6 registration desk to schedule future clinic appointments and testing. Desks 6 through 10 are designated for scheduling follow-up appointments.
Contact the Heart Center at 206-987-2015 for a cardiac referral, a second opinion or more information.