Sports Physical Therapy
Patient and Family Resources
We want you to have all the information you and your child need to understand your child’s condition and to take part in treatment. This page provides links to resources that we hope will be helpful.
Resources at Seattle Children’s
- What to expect at Sports Physical Therapy
- How to prepare for your visit
- Transportation and lodging
- Hospital services
- Paying for care
- Social Work
- Center for Children with Special Needs
- Graft Choices for ACL Surgery in Youth (PDF)
- Knee Problems (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, NIAMS)
- Osgood-Schlatter Syndrome (PDF)
- Patellar Tendonitis (PDF)
- Patellofemoral Syndrome (PDF)
- Sinding-Larsen-Johansson Syndrome (PDF)
- Repetitive Stress Injuries (KidsHealth)
- Physical Therapy Instructions: After Orthopedic Surgery (PDF) (Spanish)
- The Sports Lab: Important Guidelines for Your Child’s Therapy Session (PDF)
- Using Crutches (PDF) (Spanish)
Keeping Young Athletes in the Game (Video: 51:57)
In this KOMO TV special, host Molly Shen shares stories of how the care team at Seattle Children’s helps kids stay in the game despite sports injuries and health conditions, such as ACL injuries, asthma, scoliosis and concussions.
- Adaptive Sports Directory (searchable Excel spreadsheet) (PDF)
Resources in the Puget Sound area for people with physical disabilities who might need adaptations or support to take part in sports or leisure activities. Seattle Children’s made this list to promote healing and well-being for our patients and community. We have not vetted or formally reviewed the individual programs. For questions or to suggest updates, please email us.
- Recreation and Sports for Children and Youth with Special Needs
Groups and resources to help you find recreation options for your family and child with special needs.
- Bike Helmets: Quick-Fit Check (PDF) (Spanish)
- Exercise for Health and Wellness (PDF)
- Helmets for Winter Sports (PDF) (Spanish)
- Injury Prevention Tip Sheets by Sport (STOP Sports Injuries)
- KidsPages: Healthy Muscles Matter, Healthy Joints Matter, Healthy Bones Matter (NIAMS)
- Prevent Sports Injuries in Children and Teens
- Preventing and Treating Basketball Injuries
- Safe Moves to Save Your Back (PDF)
- Safety Gear for Sports and Play
- Safety Tips for Children Who Use Mobility Devices (PDF)
- Sports Injury Prevention Tips (Safe Kids USA)
Preventing Sports Injuries (Video: 1:42)
In this video, Dr. Cora Breuner explains ways to prevent sports injuries in children.
Winter Sport Injuries in Children (Video: 2:45)
In this video, Dr. Cora Breuner offers tips on preventing winter sports injuries.