Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine
What to Expect
- Create an online account. Shortly after scheduling your first appointment, you and your child (8 years and older) will receive an email to create online accounts in our Owl Outcomes system.
- Complete online information forms. Once you have created these accounts, you will need to login and complete forms. We will use this information to prepare for your upcoming visits and to monitor your child’s progress.
- Understand your insurance coverage. Insurance coverage for mental health services is different than medical services. Learn more.
- Complete and bring the Authorization to Exchange Patient Health Information Form (PDF). Please use this form to give permission to your child’s school or other community health or mental health providers to allow them to release information to our clinic and providers. If the patient is age 13 or older, their signature is required in addition to the legal guardian signature.
- Learn more about what to expect at your visit. Read about outpatient mental health treatment (PDF).
- Arrive 15 minutes early to get your photo name badge and check in for your appointment.
- Arrive 1 hour before your appointment if you have not completed the online forms. We will help you log on to a computer to complete these before the session.
- Copy of your insurance card(s)
- Test results from clinics other than Seattle Children’s (includes school and other evaluations or reports)
- Contact information for primary care provider, school, therapist or other psychiatric providers
- Assistive devices your child uses, if they relate to the reason for your visit
- Your child’s medicines
- Something for your child to do while they wait, such as a book, iPad (or other handheld device) or other quiet activity. During the visit, your provider may want to meet separately with you and/or your child.
- Evaluation sessions: Evaluations usually include multiple appointments. The first appointment is about 90 minutes. Follow-up sessions range from 45 to 60 minutes.
- Therapy sessions: 45 to 60 minutes
- Medication management sessions: 30 to 45 minutes
- Group sessions: 60 to 120 minutes, depending on type of group
Both parents and caregivers should come to the first appointment with your child.
We do not recommend bringing siblings younger than 12. However, if you need to bring siblings to an appointment, we recommend bringing another adult to supervise them.
At our main Seattle location, there is a separate clinic playroom for patients’ brothers and sisters ages 3 to 11 who are toilet-trained (no Pull-Ups). This is not available at our Overlake location in Bellevue.
Call 206-987-2164, option 1. To cancel, call at least 24 hours before your appointment.
If you miss or cancel an ongoing treatment visit with less than 24 hours notice 3 times, we may not be able to serve you in our clinic. We can refer you to other mental health providers in the community.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, we may need to reschedule for a different day.
- If you miss a new patient visit, we will close your referral and cancel future visits. We can refer you to other mental health providers in the community.
- If you miss or cancel an ongoing treatment visit with less than 24 hours notice 3 times, we may not be able to serve you in our clinic. We can refer you to other mental health providers in the community.