What to Expect
Before your appointment
- Sign up for MyChart. MyChart offers services such as access to lab results, messaging your provider, managing your appointments and completing any pre-appointment tasks such as filling out or signing necessary forms. The MyChart sign-up page has information about different types of MyChart accounts for patients of different ages and medical needs.
- Understand your insurance coverage. Insurance coverage for mental health services is different than for medical services. Learn more.
- Complete and bring the Authorization to Exchange Patient Health Information Form (PDF). Please use this form to give permission to your child’s school to allow them to release information to our clinic and providers if coordination with school will be part of the evaluation or treatment. If the patient is age 13 or older, their signature is required in addition to the legal guardian signature.
- Learn more about what to expect at your visit. Read about outpatient mental health treatment (PDF).
When to arrive
- Arrive 15 minutes early to get your photo name badge and check in for your appointment.
- Arrive 1 hour before your appointment if you have not completed the online forms. We will help you log on to a computer to complete these before the session.
What to bring
- Copy of your insurance card(s).
- Test results from clinics other than Seattle Children’s (includes school and other evaluations or reports).
- Contact information for primary care provider, school, therapist or other psychiatric providers.
- Assistive devices your child uses.
- Your child’s medicines.
- Something for your child to do while they wait, such as a book, iPad (or other handheld device) or other quiet activity. During the visit, your provider may want to meet separately with you and/or your child.
How long are visits?
- Evaluation sessions: Evaluations usually include multiple appointments. The first appointment is about 90 minutes. Follow-up sessions range from 45 to 60 minutes.
- Therapy sessions: 45 to 60 minutes.
- Medication management sessions: 45 minutes.
- Group sessions: 60 to 120 minutes, depending on the type of group.
Who should come to visits?
Either 1 or 2 parents or caregivers may accompany the patient to their appointment. Siblings younger than 1 year old can also come to the appointment.
What if I need to cancel or reschedule an appointment?
At least 24 hours before your appointment, please call 206-987-2164 and select option 1. You can still call this number to cancel on the same day as your appointment, but we ask that you let us know as early as possible so we can make that time available for another patient who needs it.
If you miss or cancel an ongoing treatment visit with less than 24 hours’ notice 3 times, we may not be able to serve you in our clinic. We can refer you to other mental health providers in the community.
Directions and parking
- Find your location in our map and directions
- Arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to allow time for registration.
Preparing your child
Learn more about preparing your child for a clinic visit.
For more information on visiting Seattle Children’s clinics, please see Your Child's Clinic Visit.
Interested in participating in research?
Even if we do not have space for new patients in our clinics, your child may be able to participate in research. Learn more about our research projects.
In a crisis?
If you, your child, family or friend needs help right away, call or text 988. Chat is another option. The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline provides free and confidential support for people in distress, as well as prevention and crisis resources. The Lifeline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the United States.