Mental Health Coverage
Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Health Coverage
It depends on the insurance plan you have. Even though most insurance plans cover mental health services, some plans use a different company with a different list of contracted providers.
Seattle Children’s may not be an in-network provider for mental health services for your plan even if we are in-network for medical services.
Call your insurance to find out about mental health benefits for your child including which mental health providers are included in your plan.
Yes. Mental health benefits and providers are different than medical services benefits. Some insurance plans have Seattle Children’s as an in-network provider for medical services and out-of-network for mental health services.
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Unit
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Clinic (at hospital campus and North Clinic in Everett)
- Autism Center psychiatry services (not medical services)
- Odessa Brown Children’s Clinic mental health services
- Psychiatric nurse practitioners
- Mental health therapists
- Behavioral consultants
- Residents, fellows or trainees in these fields
- Blue Cross Blue Shield – some out-of-state plans (check your plan)
- Bridgespan (Multicare)
- Carelon Behavioral Health (formerly Beacon Health Options)
- First Choice Confluence Health and HealthNet
- Harmony Health
- Kaiser Health Foundation Plan of Washington (formerly Group Health) – requires pre-authorization from behavioral health unit to be seen at Seattle Children’s for Alliant Plus POS, Options POS, Cooperative, Alliance, and Core plans.
- Mental Health Network (MHN)
If your insurance plan is listed above, Seattle Children’s is not included as a mental health provider for your plan. You will need to call your insurance and have them refer you to a mental health provider who is in-network for your insurance plan.
Even if your plan offers an out-of-network benefit, we are not accepting new patients for our mental health services if their insurance does not include Seattle Children’s as an in-network provider.
If you have a plan that is not listed, Seattle Children’s should be included as a mental health provider on your plan. It’s always best to call your insurance to verify mental health providers and benefits for your plan.
If your child is covered by Washington Apple Health, we accept all Medicaid Managed Care Organization plans (Amerigroup, Community Health Plan of Washington, Coordinated Care, Molina and United Health Care Community Plan).
Learn what to ask your insurance company about insurance coverage for mental health services (PDF) (Russian) (Simplified Chinese) (Somali) (Spanish) (Vietnamese).
Learn more about Seattle Children’s mental health services: