Refer a Patient
How to Refer a Patient
If you are unsure about whether to refer your patient, please call our Clinical Intake Nurses at 206-987-2080, option 1.
Updated October 2020.
We are accepting new referrals. To improve access for our patients, we are continuously reviewing referrals and aligning our capacity to meet our patients’ needs.
We ask that providers submit a referral that is complete. A complete referral helps us schedule an appointment for your patient in a timely manner and match them with the right specialist and clinic location. It ensures a productive and smooth first appointment for your patient. It also helps us assess the needs of our community and plan to have the capacity to meet those needs.
- Referring provider’s name, phone, fax and the referral coordinator’s email address so we may contact you if additional information is needed
- Complete demographic information for the patient, found in the top portion of our New Appointment Request Form (NARF)
- Patient’s clinical records related to the reason for your referral
- Growth charts/curves that are pertinent to the referral
- Pertinent laboratory testing reports
- Pertinent radiology testing reports
- Previous specialty evaluations for second opinions or transfers of specialty care
Submit a referral
Please call our Clinical Intake Nurses if you need assistance: 206-987-2080, option 1.
We’re committed to partnering with you
If we evaluate your patient and determine they do not have a condition that requires ongoing evaluation and management in a specialty setting, we will return them to you with an appropriate plan of care.
We are always available to answer questions and support your care of your patients.
- Diagnosis and treatment options: call 206-987-7777 (Provider-to-Provider Line)
- Referring or transporting a patient to our Emergency Department or Urgent Care: call 206-987-8899 or toll free 866-987-8899 (ED Communications Center)
- Questions about scheduling and referrals, including locating or expediting a referral: call 206-987-2080 (Clinical Intake Nurses)
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children's, including viewing your patient’s records.
What Your Patients Can Expect
- Once we receive your referral, your patient will be in our queue to review and schedule. Many services have a long wait for appointments.
- Families may call 206-987-5072 to ask to be added to a waitlist in case there is a cancellation.
- We review openings and the patient referral queue daily.
- As openings become available, we call families to schedule based on provider availability and the patient’s condition and acuity.