Refer a Patient
How to Refer a Patient
If you are unsure about whether to refer your patient, please call our Clinical Intake Nurses at 206-987-2080, option 1.
Updated August 2021.
We are accepting referrals for new patients ages 14 and under.
Please submit a referral that is complete. This helps us schedule your patient’s appointment in a timely manner and ensure their first visit is smooth and productive.
- Service/specialty clinic requested
- Reason for referral: what is the clinical question for the specialist?
- If the referral is urgent (see within 4 weeks) or routine (next available)
- ICD-10 diagnosis – required
- Visit type:
- New patient consult, transfer of care, second opinion or return visit/ongoing care
- ALL relevant clinical documents
- Clinic notes
- Medication history
- Growth charts/curves
- Lab reports
- Imaging and diagnostic reports
- Previous specialty evaluations
- Patient’s full name, DOB, sex, address, guardian contact information and insurance
- Referring provider’s name, phone, fax and the referral coordinator’s email address so that we may contact you if additional information is needed
- Preferred clinic location
- If an interpreter is needed
- Any known barriers to performing a successful telehealth (video) visit with the family
- We recommend patients try community-based feeding therapy with a speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist or PhD-level provider before being referred to our team for more complex care.
Submit a referral
- New Appointment Request Form (PDF) (DOC)
- Step-by-step guide to submitting a referral
- New Patient Referral FAQ
- Referral Triage Form (for use by referring providers only).
Please call our Clinical Intake Nurses if you need assistance: 206-987-2080, option 1.
We’re committed to partnering with you
If we evaluate your patient and determine they do not have a condition that requires ongoing evaluation and management in a specialty setting, we will return them to you with an appropriate plan of care.
We are always available to answer questions and support your care of your patients.
- Diagnosis and treatment options: call 206-987-7777 (Provider-to-Provider Line)
- Referring or transporting a patient to our Emergency Department or Urgent Care: call 206-987-8899 or toll free 866-987-8899 (ED Communications Center)
- Questions about scheduling and referrals, including locating or expediting a referral: call 206-987-2080 (Clinical Intake Nurses)
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children's, including viewing your patient’s records.
See our locations.
What Your Patients Can Expect
- Once we receive your referral, your patient will be in our queue to review and schedule. Many services have a long wait for appointments.
- Families may call 206-987-0008 to ask to be added to a cancellation list.
- We review openings and the patient referral queue daily.
- As openings become available, we call families to schedule based on provider availability and the patient’s condition and acuity.