Speech and Language Services
Refer a Patient
How to Refer a Patient
If you are unsure about whether to refer your patient, please call our Clinical Intake Nurses at 206-987-2080, option 1.
Updated April 2020
We are accepting new referrals. A referral is not required, but will help us serve your patient better. We currently do not have appointments available, but encourage you to submit a referral so that we can put your patient in our queue and call them when an opening is available. We are continuing to connect with families for phone intakes and to provide resources at this time. We are also reviewing referrals to prioritize urgent patients.
It may take 3 to 6 months for the patient to be seen for their initial clinic appointment. We hope to reduce wait times by later this year.
We ask that providers submit a referral that is complete. A complete referral helps us schedule an appointment for your patient in a timely manner and match them with the right specialist and clinic location. It ensures a productive and smooth first appointment for your patient. It also helps us assess the needs of our community and plan to have the capacity to meet those needs.
We may not schedule patients until a complete referral is received.
- Referring provider’s name, phone, fax and the referral coordinator’s email address so that we may contact you if additional information is needed
- Complete demographic information for the patient, found in the top portion of our New Appointment Request Form (NARF)
- Patient’s clinical records related to the reason for your referral
- Growth charts/curves that are pertinent to the referral
- Pertinent laboratory testing reports
- Pertinent radiology testing reports
- Previous specialty evaluations for second opinions or transfers of specialty care
- Previous audiograms
- Biopsy results
Submit a referral
- New Appointment Request Form (PDF) (DOC)
- Step-by-Step Guide to Submitting a Referral
- New Patient Referral FAQ
Please call our Clinical Intake Nurses if you need assistance: 206-987-2080.
We’re committed to partnering with you
- Diagnosis and treatment options: call 206-987-7777 (Provider-to-Provider Line).
- Referring or transporting a patient to our Emergency Department or Urgent Care: call 206-987-8899 or, toll-free, 866-987-8899 (Emergency Department Communications Center).
- Questions about scheduling and referrals, including locating or expediting a referral: call 206-987-2080 (Clinical Intake Nurses).
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children’s, including viewing your patient’s records.