Orthotics and Prosthetics
What to Expect
They have been referred to Orthotics and Prosthetics because they have a missing body part or a part of the body that is weak, injured or not working properly. Your child may benefit from an orthotic or prosthetic device.
During your appointment, your child will see our team of orthotists and prosthetists. These are healthcare providers who have specialty training in orthotics or prosthetics.
- You will meet with an orthotist/prosthetist.
- The orthotist/prosthetist will ask you questions about your family’s health history and your child’s history of orthotic or prosthetic use.
- We will examine your child to check for joint range of motion, muscle strength and to make sure your child can feel when we touch their skin.
- Your child will be measured for and/or fit with an orthotic or prosthetic device.
- After your child’s fitting, we will check their skin to make sure the device fits and check their movements to make sure it is working properly.
Depending on the needs of your child, the appointment may last 30 to 90 minutes.
For your child’s visit to Orthotics and Prosthetics, please bring:
- Clinic notes or reports
- If your child has scoliosis:
- Please bring any current X-ray images (or X-ray images on a CD) from your child’s primary care provider or other clinics or hospitals outside of Seattle Children’s.
- Have them wear a swimsuit under their clothes during the exam if being measured for a brace.
- If your child is seeing us for prosthetic or orthotic care for a lower body part such as a leg, make sure they wear:
- Loose-fitting pants or shorts
- Well-fitting shoes
- Assistive devices or other braces your child uses for standing or moving, such as a walker or forearm crutches
- For ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) or knee-ankle-foot orthosis (KAFO) fittings, please bring low-top athletic shoes that are at least one size larger than your child’s normal shoe size. Make sure to keep your receipt in case they need to be exchanged.
- Snacks for your child if your appointment runs longer than planned
We will make sure you leave the appointment with detailed instructions about what will happen next, and try to answer all of your questions. We will provide you with phone numbers to call us if you have questions after you leave.
Call Orthotics and Prosthetics at 206-987-8448. Please leave a message if you do not reach us during regular business hours and we will return your call within 24 hours.
- Find your location in our map and directions section.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to allow time for registration.
Preparing your child
For more information on visiting Seattle Children's clinics, please see Your Child's Clinic Visit.
For questions about your appointment, please contact Orthotics and Prosthetics at 206-987-8448. Please leave a message if you do not reach us during regular business hours and we will return your call within 24 hours.