Dental Clinic

Finding an Adult Dental Provider

Transitioning to an adult dental provider is an important part of continued oral health care. As you transition out of Seattle Children’s and find a long-term provider, we have put together some recommendations for where to start searching for providers who can support patients with other or special healthcare needs.

Release of Information: When you are ready to transition to a new provider, we will help you move any necessary information to you or the dental clinic. Start by calling the Health Information Integrity department at 206-987-2173 or send an email to If you need an interpreter, call 866-583-1527 and ask to be connected to extension 7-2173.

  • Start with your family’s dentist.

    If your family has a dentist, our recommendation is to start by contacting that office and asking if they are taking new patients. Many community dentists have experience in the care of adults with special healthcare needs and it may be more comfortable to go to the same office as other members of your family.

  • Hospital-based/affiliated dental clinics in the Seattle area:

    UW DECOD Clinic

    Dental Education in the Care of Persons With Disabilities (DECOD) is a dedicated program of the University of Washington School of Dentistry that treats persons with severe disabilities and prepares dental professionals to meet their special oral health needs. Learn more about how to become a patient.

    Seattle Special Care Dentistry (SSCD)

    Provides dental care for patients with complex medical, mental and physical challenges of all varieties. SSCD is the clinical base for the Swedish Hospital Dental Residency Program. Sedation and general anesthesia care are available in the office and at Swedish Hospital. SSCD’s facility was specifically designed for patients with mobility needs. Learn more about how to become a patient.

  • Resources in other parts of Washington state

    Washington State Dental Association

    This website provides a directory of dentists and clinics that provide dental care for patients with special needs. Search the directory.

    Dental residency and advanced dental education training sites across Washington

    Dental General Practice Resident (GPR) and Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) training sites often provide dental care for patients with special healthcare needs as part of their advanced training programs. Some of these clinics are located in hospitals, while others are located in community health clinics.