Emergency Department in Seattle
Our Emergency Department remains open and ready to safely care for patients.
- If you believe that you may have been exposed to COVID-19, or are concerned about your symptoms, first call your primary care provider or your county's public health office and follow their instructions.
- Only 1 person may accompany a patient to a visit to the Emergency Department at this time.
- Watch what to expect at your clinic visit during COVID-19 (video).
- Learn more about the rest of the safety measures we have in place at all Seattle Children’s locations.
Map and Directions
- Map and directions to Seattle Children's Emergency Department
- Patients and families may pull into the Emergency Department driveway and a free 24-hour valet service will park your car on the hospital campus.
Emergency or Urgent Care?
- If your child needs care for minor, non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries when your healthcare provider's office is closed, we provide specialized pediatric care at our four Urgent Care locations in Bellevue, Federal Way, Everett and Seattle. Urgent Care is open on evenings, weekends and holidays.
- For more information, read our Emergency or Urgent Care? checklist or download the checklist as a PDF in English, Spanish or Arabic.
- You can make an appointment for Urgent Care here.
About the Emergency Department
We specialize in meeting the unique needs of children and families during medical emergencies.
Seattle Children's Emergency Department is dedicated to caring for babies, children, teens and young adults, providing complete, coordinated care for your child in one location. Our team has extensive experience providing state-of-the-art emergency care especially for young patients. A lead doctor, called an attending doctor, is in our Emergency Department 24 hours a day, every day. We offer round-the-clock access to Seattle Children's experts in more than 30 pediatric specialties and to the full facilities of our hospital.
Our team recognizes how stressful illness or injury can be – not only to your child, but also to your family. You know your child best, so we will include you as we assess and treat your child.
Services and Features We Offer
- Emergency care for children ages 21 years and younger, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Our providers are Pediatric Emergency Medicine experts.
- Rapid access to the full facilities and staff of Seattle Children's, including operating rooms, MRI, CT scan, X-rays and other advanced diagnostic techniques, and experts in more than 30 pediatric specialties
- Radiology center adjacent to the ED makes imaging services more convenient and efficient.
- Central work stations give caregivers greater visibility to your child's room.
- Communication with Urgent Care Clinics ensures our providers work together to coordinate care if a child needs to be transferred to the ED.
- Free interpreter services are available.
- TVs in each exam room have access to our interactive media system, GetWell Town.
A registered nurse will greet you as soon as you walk through the door and assess your child's condition. After your child's condition is assessed by a nurse, a medical intake coordinator will show you to an early initiation room. Registration will take place in the room after the medical care team sees your child.
The entire primary care team may come into the room at the same time so you won't have to explain your situation to each person involved. This will ensure everyone is on the same page and enable care to move forward without delay.
Paying for Care
Learn about paying for care at Seattle Children’s including insurance coverage, billing and financial assistance. Understand Urgent Care and Emergency Department charges and when you may pay both. See About Your Bill: Urgent Care and Emergency Department Charges (PDF) to learn more.