Science Education Department
Research Training Program for High School Students
About the Research Training Program
Seattle Children’s Research Institute is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce, and inspiring the next generation of scientists, physicians, and healthcare workers. During the summer, our Science Education Department offers high school students the opportunity to learn more about biomedical research.
We are committed to providing options that work for you. So for summer 2021, we are offering two programs led by PhD-level scientists and educators. Students will learn how to work in a research laboratory environment and learn about topics including biochemistry, immunotherapy, gene editing, and infectious diseases. Students will also participate in workshops on college readiness and career exploration. These programs provide students with a solid foundation for a future career in biomedical research, and there is no cost to participate.
- The Research Training Program (RTP) is an in-person, limited-capacity program, with a competitive application process for students from groups that are underrepresented in biomedical research. Stipends are available to offset costs for transportation and meals. We do not provide or arrange housing for students.
- The Virtual Research Training Program (VRTP) is an online program with no limit to capacity.
|Research Training Program (RTP)||Virtual Research Training Program (VRTP)|
|Duration||3 weeks||1 week|
|Time||8:30 am - 4:00 pm||10:00 am - 12:00 pm and
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
|Dates||Session 1: July 12-30, 2021
Session 2: August 9-27, 2021
Both sessions are identical.
June 28 - July 2, 2021
In-person activities include:
Online activities include:
|How to Participate||
Please fill out the application form for the in-person RTP, and attach:
|Please fill out the registration form for the online VRTP.|
|Open Date||Monday, January 4, 2021||Monday, January 4, 2021|
|Due Date||Sunday, April 4, 2021||Sunday, June 20, 2021|
|Decision Date||Students will be notified of their application status by early May 2021.||Students will receive confirmation of their registration shortly after submitting the form.|
- The health and safety of our staff, students, and families are of the highest importance. We are continuing to rely on the guidance and expertise of public health agencies regarding the safety and feasibility of in-person programs. If the in-person RTP is cancelled, all applicants will be automatically offered the opportunity to participate in the online VRTP.
- We cannot allow students to participate in both the in-person RTP and online VRTP.
- We cannot accept students who have previously participated in the 2020 VRTP.
- Please note that these training programs are best suited for students interested in laboratory research.
- Please visit the High School and Youth Service Projects or Summer Nurse Camp pages if you are interested in volunteer or clinical positions at Seattle Children’s Hospital. To learn more about other training opportunities at Seattle Children’s Research Institute, please visit the Office for Training, Education and Research.
How to Participate
Click here to fill out the application form for the in-person Research Training Program. Applications for the in-person RTP are due Sunday, April 4, 2021. Applicants will learn of their status in early May.
Click here to fill out the registration form for the online Virtual Research Training Program. Registrations for the online VRTP are due Sunday, June 20, 2021.
Students may only fill out one form. Duplicate forms will not be accepted.
To learn more, please email the Science Education Department.
Thank you for your interest in the Research Training Program at Seattle Children’s Research Institute!