Your Child's Hospital Stay
Talking with Your Child's Doctor
Your Doctor Will Answer Your Questions
Here are some helpful questions to ask your child's doctor. Read them over before your child is admitted.
- Do you have any written information that I can use to learn more about my child's special health needs?
- Can you explain what will be done while my child is in the hospital?
- Who do I ask to talk to if I have questions about my child's care?
- When and how will I learn about my child's test results?
- Do I need to schedule a follow-up appointment with a clinic after my child is discharged?
- What is the name of the medicine? What is the medicine for?
- Is it safe to give if my child has allergies or adverse reactions to some medicine? Is the dose correct for my child's weight?
- When we go home, how am I supposed to give it? What time each day? With or without food? What is the best way to measure my child's liquid medicine?
- If my child is still taking the medicine once we go home, how long should my child continue taking it? When should I see an improvement?
- What side effects may occur? What do I do if they occur?
- Is the medicine safe to give with other medicines or dietary supplements? What food, drink or activities should my child avoid while taking the medicine?
- Who do I ask if I have questions about the medicine?
- Are there any support groups where I can connect with other parents?
- Do you know of any other local or Internet-based resources?