Talking with Your Child's Doctor
Your Doctor Will Answer Your Questions
Here are some helpful questions to ask your child's doctor. Read them over before your child is admitted.
- Do you have any written information that I can use to learn more about my child's special health needs?
- Can you explain what will be done while my child is in the hospital?
- Who do I ask to talk to if I have questions about my child's care?
- When and how will I learn about my child's test results?
- Do I need to schedule a follow-up appointment with a clinic after my child is discharged?
- What is the name of the medicine? What is the medicine for?
- Is it safe to give if my child has allergies or adverse reactions to some medicine? Is the dose correct for my child's weight?
- When we go home, how am I supposed to give it? What time each day? With or without food? What is the best way to measure my child's liquid medicine?
- If my child is still taking the medicine once we go home, how long should my child continue taking it? When should I see an improvement?
- What side effects may occur? What do I do if they occur?
- Is the medicine safe to give with other medicines or dietary supplements? What food, drink or activities should my child avoid while taking the medicine?
- Who do I ask if I have questions about the medicine?
- Are there any support groups where I can connect with other parents?
- Do you know of any other local or Internet-based resources?