Transfer a Patient
Urgent Transfers of Newborns
For transfer of an acute patient:
- Call 206-987-5437 (KIDS).
- Our medical control team will arrange the best timing and location for transfer of your patient.
- Our Critical Care Transport team of doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists are national leaders in safely moving fragile newborns.
Prior to transport, please fax to 206-985-3298:
- Patient’s medical record
- Transfer summary to let us know the current state of the patient, including medications and ventilator settings. This avoids repeating tests or other procedures upon arrival.
- Lab data, including numbers to call for pending results
- Radiographic studies (copies, originals or CDs)
- Name, phone and fax numbers of physicians involved in the patient’s care to ensure communication upon arrival at Seattle Children’s
Planning Before Birth
If a problem has been identified during pregnancy and the baby will need care at Seattle Children’s in the first weeks of life, see how to refer a patient to our Fetal Care and Treatment Center.
We will work with you and your patient/family to plan for a safe delivery and transfer to Seattle Children’s. In some cases, we recommend delivery at University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle to facilitate immediate transfer to Seattle Children’s.
We’re committed to partnering with you
Our team includes experts in all types of conditions affecting neonates. Meet the Neonatology team.
Our goal is to transfer your patients back to your care as soon as they are medically ready.
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children’s.
We strive to provide the right level of care closer to home where possible.
Newborns and premature babies with complex medical and surgical conditions get care in the NICU at Seattle Children’s hospital campus in Seattle.
Seattle Children’s neonatologists and neonatal advanced practice providers (APPs) care for patients in NICUs at our affiliate hospitals:
- Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett
- CHI Franciscan Health in Tacoma
- Overlake Medical Center in Bellevue
- UW Medicine Valley Medical Center in Renton
Our newborn care specialists also care for patients in nurseries at:
- Harrison Medical Center in Silverdale
- Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia
- Skagit Valley Hospital in Mt Vernon
See our locations and contact information.