Seattle Children’s engages our people with training opportunities and support to develop your career.
If you join our team, we will encourage and help you go beyond just doing the work to improving how the work is done.
We Invest in Our People
Support for professional development is one reason Becker’s Hospital Review listed us as one of 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare. We were also listed because of our positive work environment, excellent employee recognition and robust benefits.
Advancing Your Career
We are at the forefront of professional development by investing in innovative programs to help you thrive in your career:
- Career development workshops help you see the many paths your career can take – no matter where you start. You will learn about the skills and knowledge needed to reach your goals.
- The Crucial Conversations course teaches skills for creating alignment and agreement by fostering open dialogue. This way, you’ll begin to surface the best ideas, make the highest-quality decisions and then act on your decisions with unity and commitment.
- Lynda.com instructional videos cover the latest software, creative and business skills. The online library is available to all employees.
- Children’s Hospital Association CHEX Knowledge Exchange is Seattle Children’s catalog of online courses. We cover clinical and non-clinical topics. On-demand training and information lets you learn when it is convenient for you. Some courses carry continuing education credits, including CME, CNE or CRCE.
- Outreach education conferences and courses for our own staff and throughout the region. Our goal is to increase pediatric healthcare knowledge and adoption of best practices.
- BLS, PEARS and PALS renewal is covered for current employees who are required to certify.
Working with outstanding faculty and the latest treatments and technologies is another way our employees grow and learn. You can help us transform pediatric care through innovation and Continuous Process Improvement (CPI).
Read more about Seattle Children’s leadership in pediatric care.
Nursing Certification and Education
Seattle Children's supports direct-care nurses in their pursuit of national certification in these ways:
- Organizing study groups to prepare for certification
- Covering the cost of examination fees
- Paying a salary premium for approved national certifications
Nurses may receive paid time for pre-approved educational or professional leave in accordance with the current Washington State Nurses Association (WSNA) contract.
Our strategic plan calls for us to increase the percentage of our nurses with certification. It is linked to better patient safety, commitment to nursing practice and higher patient satisfaction.
Learn more about Nursing careers at Seattle Children’s.
Our Tuition Assistance program provides financial support to eligible employees who want to develop their careers within the hospital.
You may apply for tuition assistance after one continuous year of service at a 0.4 FTE or above.
Programs of study must lead to a degree or certification that is directly related to a career at Seattle Children's.
Work-Life Balance and Supportive Culture
To help you do your best, we support a healthy work-life balance. Our benefits include employee care programs and paid time off.
Another benefit is working and living in the Seattle area.
We foster a culture of Accountability, Respect and Teamwork with all members of the team ⎼ patients, families and each other. Learn more about Seattle Children’s culture.