Talking with Your Child's Doctor
Here are some helpful questions to ask your child's doctor.
- Do you have written info that I can use to learn more about my child's condition?
- Can you explain what will be done today?
- Whom should I talk with if I have questions about my child's care?
- When and how will I learn about my child's test results?
- Do I need to schedule a follow-up appointment?
- Whom do I call in case of an emergency? Whom do I call when the clinic is closed?
- What is the name of the medicine? What is the medicine for?
- Is it safe to give if my child has allergies or reactions to some medicine? Is the dose correct for my child's weight?
- How am I supposed to give it? What time each day? With or without food? What is the best way to measure my child's liquid medicine?
- How long should my child take the medicine? When should I see an improvement?
- What are the side effects? What do I do if my child has seen them?
- Is the medicine safe to give with other medicines or dietary supplements? What food, drink or activities should my child avoid while taking the medicine?
- Whom do I call if I have questions about the medicine?
- Are there any support groups where I can connect with other parents?
- Do you know of any other local or online resources?