Access Our Services
Requests for Inpatient Services
Patients up to 21 years of age may be admitted to Seattle Children's. When referring a patient for admission, please follow the applicable instructions below.
Scheduled inpatient admissions are planned admissions for the following day or a date in the future. To make arrangements for a scheduled admission, please call the physician operator at 206-987-7777 and ask for the shift administrator.
You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Patient's name and date of birth
- Arrival date, time and mode of transportation
- Admitting diagnosis, estimated length of stay and plan
- Classification (emergent, urgent, elective)
- Special needs (e.g., interpreter, tracheotomy, developmental delay, social concerns)
- Possible exposure to contagious disease (e.g., chicken pox, measles)
- Referring physician name and telephone number
- Insurance information
- Attending physician – you or your colleague
Please note: single rooms cannot be reserved or guaranteed unless the patient requires isolation.
Unscheduled inpatient admissions are immediate or same-day admission. To make arrangements for an unscheduled admission, please call the physician operator at 206-987-7777. For admission to the medical unit, ask for the chief pediatric resident; for admission to a subspecialty, ask for that specialty's physician on-call.
In general, unscheduled inpatient admissions should enter through the Emergency Department entrance. Unscheduled admissions will be directed to come through either the ED or Admitting Department.
- For patients directed to enter through the Emergency Department staff will perform a brief visual assessment of the patient at no charge and send the child to the inpatient unit.
- The patient will not be seen by an Emergency Department physician unless judged clinically unstable or requiring initiation of treatment.
- If this occurs, Emergency Department charges may be incurred.
Admissions from a Seattle Children's specialty clinic or facility (e.g., day surgery, radiology) where the patient is medically stable may be handled through the Admitting Department.
If your patient is admitted to the hospital either through the Emergency Department or by a Seattle Children's specialist, you will receive a fax notification of the admission within 24 hours of admission.
This fax will include the location of your patient, reason for admission, the names of the physicians responsible for care and a contact phone number.