Patient and Family Resources
Students and their caregivers may use these resources to help advocate for their child’s school supports.
- Washington Education Ombuds assists students and parents/guardians who have questions or concerns about Washington’s K-12 public schools.
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) works with parents/guartdians and school districts to resolve disagreements about a studet’s special education program.
- PAVE offers suport, information and training to families on topics including school supports.
- The Arc of Washington State supports individuals with developmental disabilities and their families on issues including school supports.
- Sound Options Group supports families through special education facilitation services.
Below is a list of links that discuss common school-related advocacy issues.
Requesting a 504 plan or IEP
- Understood.org: What is a 504 plan?
- Understood.org: What is an IEP?
- How to Request Special Education (PDF)
- Education Ombuds: How Does a Student Get Started With Special Education?
- PAVE: Student Rights, IEP, Section 504 and More
Behavior and discipline
- Education Ombuds: Discipline, Suspensions, and Expulsions
- Understood.org: What is a functional behavior analysis?
- Understood.org: What is a behavior intervention plan?
- PAVE: Discipline and Disability Rights: What to do if your child is being sent home
- School avoidance: Help! I can’t get my child to go to school (PDF)
- Seattle Children’s School Avoidance Group (PDF)
- Education Ombuds: Bullying, Harassment, and Intimidation
- Education Ombuds: Safety Plans
- PACER: Bullying Prevention 101 Quick Guides
Alternative school options
- OSPI: Learning Alternatives
- OSPI: Approved Online School Programs
- Education Ombuds: School Choice/Transfers
Below is a list of resources to support your child’s curriculum.
- Khan Academy is a free learning resource for all grades and major subjects. Activities include video presentations, quizzes and practice exercises.
- Discovery K-12 features a free online homeschool curriculum. This site includes worksheets and daily lesson plans.
- CK-12 provides a library of free online textbooks for all grades.
- UnboundEd offers free K-12 curriculum resources with a focus on cultural responsiveness. The site includes lesson plans for all grades.