Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
What to Expect
COVID-19: What to Expect for Your Child’s Safety at In-Person Appointments
We’ve made a lot of changes to our facilities to protect our patients, families and staff from covid-19. Every patient is allowed to have a maximum of one parent or caregiver accompany them. Everyone else, including siblings of any age, may not come along. When you come for your appointment, you will see that we’re requiring everyone to wear masks at all times, cleaning check-in and registration desks between visits, screening for symptoms at all entrances and have set up our spaces to encourage social distancing. Learn more about the rest of the safety measures we have in place.
Please bring the following information with you to your child's visit:
- Lab test request from your child's doctor, if it was not already sent to Seattle Children's
- Name and phone number of the doctor who referred your child to Seattle Children's
- Insurance cards and medical coupons
- Referrals or authorizations from your child's doctor, if you have them
Tips on preparing your child for a lab test:
- Feel free to ask questions before, during and after your child's test.
- Tell your child what will happen. Use short, simple words that your child knows. Be honest about what will happen and what may hurt.
- Stay calm for your child. If you act scared, your child will likely do the same.
- Bring quiet toys or activities from home. Use them to distract your child during the procedure. Good choices include bubbles, a puppet, a special stuffed animal or a personal music player. Another idea for young kids is to sing a song during your child's test.
- If you have questions about other ways to help your child cope, call our child life specialists at 206-987-2037.
- See the Resources page for tips on preparing for specific tests.
- For information on visiting Children's clinics, please see Your Child's Clinic Visit.
Blood Draw Prep Book
From check-in to discharge, follow the colorful photo story of a blood draw here at Seattle Children's lab. Written by Child Life specialists, this helpful booklet can lessen worry and spark conversation.
- What to Expect During Your Blood Draw at Seattle Children's Lab (PDF)
- What to Expect During Your Blood Draw at Seattle Children's Bellevue Lab (PDF)