The Center for Global Infectious Disease Research has two dedicated insectaries – one for rearing mosquitoes suitable for controlled human malaria infection clinical trials and one for rearing research-grade mosquitoes for bench research projects. Mosquitoes are used for a number of research projects both internally and externally, with the bulk used for infection with a number of different malaria infection models.
Uninfected and infected cages are available for purchase. We ship live uninfected mosquitoes and mosquitoes infected with Plasmodium yoelii and Plasmodium berghei to investigators within the United States for research use. Mosquito cages will be shipped in packaging compliant with the Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations for UN 2900. Shipping costs are to be paid by recipient laboratories including return of empty biosafety suitcase to the Center for Global Infectious Disease Research.
We can also provide dissected cryopreserved P. falciparum sporozoites, but for safety reasons cannot ship live infected mosquitoes. P. falciparum sporozoites are purified prior to cryopreservation and stored in liquid nitrogen. We typically sell cryopreserved sporozoites per vial containing 1 million sporozoites but can freeze in larger or smaller quantities upon request.
Current Mosquito Species
Current mosquito species being grown or produced in the facility:
- Anopheles stephensi – mosquitoes suitable for controlled human malaria infection clinical trials
- Anopheles stephensi – research colony
- Aedes aegypti – research colony (available upon request)
- Plasmodium yoelii – 17XNL strain, additional GFP, GFP-luc strains available on request
- Plasmodium berghei – NK65, ANKA strains
- Plasmodium falciparum – NF54, 3D7, GB4, 7G8 strains, additional GFP, GFP-luc strains available on request
All prices quoted are subject to change and are for single ad hoc purchases. Multiple purchases may be offered at a discount. Contact us for details.
- Aedes aegypti cage: per special request only
- Anopheles stephensi: $250 per cage
- Plasmodium yoelii infected: $600 per cage
- Plasmodium berghei infected: $650 per cage
- Cryopreserved Plasmodium falciparum (1M sporozoites, non-GMP grade): $1,650 per vial
Prices as of January 2019
For more information or to discuss specific project needs, please send us an email. We are happy to provide additional services or support upon request.