Weight Management - Brain Activation and Satiety in Children 2 (BASIC2)
Condition or Therapy:
What is the goal of this study?
BASIC2 is a longitudinal study that is exploring how a study medicine combined with family-based treatment helps kids better manage their weight.
Who can join the study?
Your family may be a good fit for this study if your child will be:
- 10 to 12 years old in the next 6 months
- Is heavy for their age and gender
What will happen if my child takes part in this study?
If you decide to take part in this study, participating families would:
- Attend free family-based weight management classes which are about 90 minutes long and meet once a week in the evening. These classes are conducted at one of Seattle Children's clinics or remotely and will last for 6 months
- Recieve measurements of your weight and height, diet and activity before, during and after treatment
Your child would:
- Be randomized to recieve either a study medicine that would help them with weight control OR a placebo medicine
Your child would have 6 addtional visits:
- Three 4 hour long visits at the University of Washington, where your child will have two MRI scans, blood testing, body measurements and survey to complete
- Three 60 minute visits for body measurements at 2, 6 and 12 months after treatment
Who can I contact for more information?
To take part in this research study, please contact BASICFBT@seattlechildrens.org.