Life Jacket Loaner Programs
Life jacket loaner programs provide opportunities for families and friends to borrow life jackets for free at boating ramps, bathing beaches and other locations. Learn more about loaner programs in Washington state and how to develop a program.
- Washington State Life Jacket Loaner Station Locations (PDF) – Google map
- Washington State Life Jacket Loaner Program Horizontal Sign – 36 in. wide x 27 in. tall (PDF) | Vertical Sign – 27 in. wide x 36 in. tall (PDF) (translated into various languages – 36 in. wide x 71.5 in. tall, PDF)
If you need a custom size or logos added to the Washington State Life Jacket Loaner Program sign, email James Forkner at Studio Bolo.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Life Jacket Loaner Program Guidelines (PDF)
- BoatUS Foundation - How to Set Up a Life Jacket Loaner Program (PDF)
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary - Life Jacket Loaner Program: Standard Operating Procedures & Guidelines (PDF)
- Kids Don’t Float - Life Jacket Loaner Program: Loaner Station Construction Diagrams (PDF)
- Kids Don't Float - PFD Loaner Stations Program Guide (PDF)
Life Jacket and Flotation Device Observational Study Results
- Summary: Washington State Life Jacket Observational Study Results, 2014 (PDF)
- Informing policy on open water drowning prevention: an observational survey of life jacket use in Washington state. Chung C, Quan L, Bennett E, Kernic M, Ebel M. Inj Prev 2014; 20: 238-243
- Summary: Washington State Personal Flotation Device Use Report, 2014 (PDF)
- Washington State Personal Flotation Device Use Report, 2014 (PDF)
- Are Life Vests Worn? A multiregional observational study of personal flotation device use in small boats. Linda Quan, Elizabeth Bennett, Peter Cummings, Michaela N. Trusty, Charles D. Treser. Injury Prevention, April 1998, Vol. 4: pp.203-205
- Visit our resources page for water safety and drowning prevention to find more materials about life jackets, including how to choose and fit life jackets.