Palliative Care Program
What is the Palliative Care Program?
The Palliative Care Program is for any family whose child is facing a serious, possibly life-threatening illness.
We understand that each family is different. We take a personalized approach to address the physical, psychological, social and other effects a possibly life-threatening illness can have on a family.
The team includes specialists in palliative care for children and teens:
- Nurse practitioners
- Nurse care coordinators
- Palliative care consultants who may have a background in social work, chaplaincy or nursing
We work with you and your child’s medical teams to ensure that your preferences are always considered and that you are given all the available options.
How We Can Help
The Palliative Care Program supports you in being an active participant in the care planning and decision-making for your child.
- We work with your child’s healthcare team to help you make treatment choices that are right for you and your child.
- We help make sure the goals of your child and family remain at the center of all discussions with your child’s healthcare providers.
This can take many forms, from care planning conferences to technical or psychological support when you are facing complicated medical decisions.
When your family has been referred to the Palliative Care team, you decide how much you would like us to be involved in your child’s care. Our support can include:
- Being there for you throughout the many different stages of your child’s care
- Working with your medical team to discuss different ways of managing symptoms
- Helping you understand what can sometimes be complex medical communications
- Keeping your family’s goals, hopes and values at the center of the decision-making process
How to Access Our Services
The Palliative Care Program is available through referral. Your child’s primary medical team can submit a referral, or you may speak directly to your care team and ask for a referral.
After your provider places a referral, a member of our team will arrange a time to meet with you and your family.
If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please call the Palliative Care program coordinator at 206-987-7459. We are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Once your family has begun working with us, our doctors are on call 24/7 through the hospital operator or your child’s bedside nurse.