Shaping the Future of Pediatric Healthcare
We believe all children have unique needs and should grow up without illness or injury. With the support of the community and through our spirit of inquiry we will prevent, treat and eliminate pediatric disease.
Our founding promise is to care for every child in our region, regardless of their family’s ability to pay. Over the next five years, we aspire to:
Letter from CEO and Chairman of the Board
We don’t have a crystal ball at Seattle Children’s, but our vision for the future is clear: we want to be the best children’s hospital.
Our new strategic plan provides a way to help us navigate each step of the way.
Over the last year, we’ve gained a deeper understanding of what it will take to thrive going forward. Our strategic plan is the product of what we learned and will direct our growth for the next five years.
While the strategic plan points us toward the future, it is shaped by a vision that has driven us for more than 100 years – that all children should grow up without illness or injury.
Our founding promise is to care for every child in our region who needs us, regardless of their family’s ability to pay. This plan will help us navigate a rapidly changing healthcare environment to keep that promise.
The strategic plan describes in detail where we want to go and how we expect to get there. Please join us on our journey.
Thomas N. Hansen, MD
Former CEO, Seattle Children’s
Chair, Seattle Children’s Hospital Board of Trustees
Seattle Children’s was ahead of its time when it was founded in 1907 as the first hospital west of the Mississippi to specialize in treating children.
More than 100 years later, we remain a leader in pediatric medicine by delivering world-class care to children from the largest geographic region in the country: Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho.
We are proud of how much we have grown and how far we have come, but we never stop thinking about where we are going and how we will get there.
Our new strategic plan provides a way to honor our promise and achieve our mission while navigating a future filled with rapid change.
We will continue to recruit and retain the best faculty and staff to accomplish these objectives.
Children’s new strategic plan will guide the growth of our clinical, research and educational programs for the next five years.
The plan will help us meet our vision by keeping us focused on four key goals:
- Provide the safest, most effective care possible . We will standardize our care processes and strengthen our systems to prevent and respond rapidly to medical errors. We will complete the transition to an electronic medical record system.
- Control and reduce the cost of providing care . We will collaborate with healthcare partners to develop new payment models; coordinate all aspects of care for children; and continue to use CPI (Continuous Performance Improvement) to become as efficient as possible in everything we do.
- Find cures and educate clinicians and researchers . We will grow our groundbreaking research to develop new cures; enhance both our training for residents and our continuing medical education program; and ensure that all patients benefit from our research.
- Grow responsibly and provide access to every child who needs us . We will have a bed available for every child who needs one; reduce wait time for specialty care and expand access to our services locally and regionally; and collaborate with other healthcare providers to share our clinical expertise.
Laying a Strong Foundation
At Seattle Children’s we embrace our unwavering commitment to prevent, treat and eliminate childhood disease.
The three entities that make up Seattle Children’s and serve as our pillars – Hospital, Research and Foundation – are foundational to the heart of our story. Each is critical in our efforts to provide hope, care and cures to patients now and in the future.
It is a 2-year-old bravely fighting cancer. It is a research team discovering the cures of tomorrow. It is a team of clinicians committed to providing the safest care possible to the children we serve.
And, it is the generous support from our community providing funds to support our ever-growing uncompensated care, advanced clinical care, groundbreaking research, continuing education and patient care space needs.
We are confident that this strategic plan positions us to both honor our past and prepare us for the future.
What will our patients and their families experience at Seattle Children’s in the future?
- Patients are safe and have the most effective care possible.
- Patients are getting the care they need when and where they need it.
- Information flows seamlessly throughout our care system.
- Costs of our care are affordable and we are partners with our patient’s healthcare plans and providers.
- All patients are benefitting from our efforts in research and education.