When hiring at Seattle Children’s, we want people who are looking to do their life’s work, not just a job.
To attract and retain the best workforce, we provide competitive salaries, great benefits and excellent professional development. Those are some of the reasons Becker’s Hospital Review listed us as one of 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare.
All these benefits come on top of working in Seattle – a lively, highly livable city.
Healthcare benefits are available to employees who are regularly scheduled to work at least 24 hours each week.
Benefits begin as follows:
- On the first day of the next month after hire for employees who are hired from the first through 15th of any month (for example, if hired March 15, benefits begin on April 1).
- On the first day of the second month after hire for employees who are hired from the 16th through the end of the month (for example, if hired March 16, benefits begin on May 1).
Besides competitive salaries, we provide these resources for your financial stability and security.
We pay for life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance. Basic life insurance is equal to your annual salary ($50,000 minimum benefit). If additional coverage is desired, supplemental life insurance may be purchased at group rates for the staff members and dependents.
Our long-term disability plan provides 60% to 66.6% of salary after an employee is disabled for 90 days.
We offer two retirement plans through Fidelity: a 401(a) retirement plan and a 403(b) tax-sheltered plan. After you have worked one year, Seattle Children's will make additional contributions to the plan.
The 401(a) plan has three contribution components:
- A generous employer contribution
- Both pre-tax and after-tax Roth employee contribution options.
- An Employer matching contribution.
Flexible spending accounts offer pre-tax payroll deductions for health and day care expenses.
Time Away From Work
Seattle Children’s provides eligible team members with generous paid time away from work for vacation, holidays, personal and sick time – including bonding pay for new parents. Accruals begin on your first day of employment and increase with years of service.
We support our employees’ right to job protection as they take care of the health of themselves and close family members.
Be Well: Employee Well-Being Program
We offer a variety of resources to support our employees on their journey to health and well-being.
Employees have convenient access to free preventive, primary and acute care services at a network of area clinics operated by Vera Whole Health, including a location just steps from the main hospital campus. This benefit is available to employees (and their spouses and adult children) who are enrolled in medical coverage through Seattle Children’s.
Employees have access to free and low-cost on-demand primary care on their mobile phone via a secure messaging–based application operated by 98point6. This benefit is available to employees (and their spouses and adult children) who are enrolled in medical coverage through Seattle Children’s.
Employees have access to free, unlimited health coaching through Vera Whole Health. Whether you need help to improve your nutrition or fitness, stop smoking, manage stress or carve out more time for your family, Vera’s health coaches will help you set and achieve your goals by creating a plan with you that fits your lifestyle. This benefit is available to all Seattle Children’s employees (and their spouses and adult children) who are enrolled in medical coverage through Seattle Children’s.
Our employee assistance program through Magellan is a free, confidential resource for help with any work or personal issues you may face. Services range from support during a personal crisis to legal services to pet-sitting referrals.
Employees have access to the American Cancer Society and Optum’s Quit for Life program. The program integrates free medication, web-based learning and confidential phone-based support from expert quit coaches to help put individuals on the road to being tobacco-free. This benefit is available to employees and their spouses/domestic partners.
Seattle Children’s recognizes the benefit of a permanent adoptive home to a child who needs one. We reimburse up to $2,500 for qualified adoption expenses.
Rethink provides families with best-practice resources and training to support their children with developmental disabilities or challenges with learning and behavior. It’s available to all Seattle Children’s employees at no cost.
Our Engagement and Recognition program provides discounts for a variety of services, including:
- Gym memberships
- Sporting events
Home Ownership Program
Advantage Home Plus (AHP) offers help with locating temporary or rental housing, as well as savings on mortgages, realtor representation, home inspection, moving, carpet cleaning and maid services. Applicants are welcome to contact AHP for assistance at any time.
We offer nationally-award winning transportation perks that are both generous and flexible. We're here to help you find convenient and affordable options for getting to work each day.
Seattle Children’s employees enjoy (eligibility requirements may apply):
- Deeply discounted unlimited ORCA transit pass – good for bus, train, light rail and foot ferry rides, and pays half of vanpool fare
- Daily cash bonus on days you commute to work by train, bus, carpool, vanpool, bicycling or walking
- Free shuttle service connecting worksites to regional transit hubs
- Personalized commute assistance
- On-site Staff Bicycle Service Center – full service bike shop offering discounts on bicycles, gear and accessories
- Two free annual bicycle tune-ups
- Company Bike Program – free use of a bike when you commit to biking to work twice a week
- Free bike classes, lockers, showers, towel service and secure parking.
- Free rides home when you don’t drive and the unexpected occurs
- Premium parking for carpools and free parking for vanpools
- Free vanpool parking and premium carpool parking save you money and grant you access to onsite parking
- Pay-per-use parking rates that differ by time of day – depending on your worksite, parking will cost between $2 and $15 per day. Daily parking costs allow flexibility in how you get to work each day.
- Offsite parking for many hospital campus workforce members, with frequent shuttles to the hospital, allows us to preserve our limited on-campus parking for patients and families.
Read an overview of Seattle Children's transportation perks (PDF).
Seattle Children’s efforts to ease our employees’ commutes are recognized in the 2016 Platinum Employer award for Commute Trip Reduction from the League of American Bicyclists.
Seattle Children’s was designated one of 2018’s Best Workplaces for Commuters for offering exceptional commuter benefits.
We start with personalized commute planning at your on-boarding appointment and follow up with assistance and advice along the way.