Summer Nurse Camp
About the Program
We are committed to recruiting the best nurses, cultivating an inclusive and diverse workforce, and inspiring diverse high school students to pursue a career in nursing.
Every year we offer local high school students the opportunity to participate in our free Nurse Camp at Seattle Children’s. The goal of the program is to provide high school students with a background that is historically underrepresented in the biomedical and health sciences an opportunity to engage in learning activities at Seattle Children’s that introduce them to nursing career pathways.
During this five-day camp, students will gain insight into the world of pediatric nursing by participating in clinical observation sessions. In these sessions, students will shadow nurses in a clinical environment and observe as they provide patient care and interact with patients and families. (Students will not provide patient care.)
Students will also work through interactive hands-on skills labs to learn and practice various nursing skills on models. In addition, students will have the opportunity to engage with an educational panel to ask questions and discuss nursing as a career path.
Past clinical observation sessions have been offered in the following clinical areas:
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Cancer Care Unit
- Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
- Infusion Clinic
- Emergency Room
- Medical Units
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pre/Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
- Surgical Units
Hear staff and former RN Residents talk about the RN Residency Program at Seattle Children's, a one-year program that prepares new nursing graduates for their role as a pediatric nurse.
- Dates: Monday, July 15-19, 2024
- Times: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Location: Seattle Children’s Hospital Campus, 4800 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105
- Provisions: Lunch is provided to campers each day of camp.
- The program does not provide or arrange housing for students.
- Students must be entering their junior or senior year of high school in the fall of 2024 and be at least 16 years old by the start of camp (July 15, 2024).
- Students must reside in the Puget Sound area.
- Students must be available for the entire Nurse Camp duration (five consecutive days).
- Students must be on time and stay for the duration of each day.
Application and Acceptance Notification
Applications for 2024 Summer Nurse Camp will open on Tuesday, February 27, 2024, at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time.
Once you begin filling out the online application, there is no option to save and return to your work. Thus, we recommend that you use our Seattle Children’s Nurse Camp Application Guide file to help ensure you have prepared all the information needed to complete the online application.
* The Application Guide is not the official application. Please don’t submit this form.
When you are ready, fill out the online application (link available Feb. 27 at 9 a.m.). The due date for applications is Friday, March 29, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.
If online access is a barrier for you, please contact us and we will explore other possibilities.
Acceptance notifications will go out in early May 2024.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.