Child Development and Parenting
Summer Nurse Camp
2019 Summer Nurse Camp
Summer Nurse Camp 2019 applications are now closed.
About the Program
Seattle Children’s is a richly diverse organization. The patients and families we serve come from many backgrounds and bring distinct values, family structures, strengths and special needs. We strive to maintain an atmosphere that reflects our values of inclusion by providing effective and respectful care compatible with each patient and family’s beliefs, values and heritage.
To reach our goals, we are committed to recruiting the best nurses, cultivating an inclusive and diverse workforce and inspiring diverse high school students to pursue a career in nursing. Every year we offer local high school students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to participate in our Nurse Camp at Seattle Children’s.
During this five-day camp, students will gain insight into the world of pediatric nursing by participating in clinical observation sessions. In these sessions, students will shadow nurses in a clinical environment and observe as they provide patient care and interact with patients and families. (Students will not provide patient care.)
Students will also work through interactive hands-on skills labs to learn and practice various nursing skills on models. In addition, students will have the opportunity to engage with an educational panel to ask questions and discuss nursing as a viable career path.
The program does not provide or arrange housing for students.
Past clinical observation sessions have been offered in the following clinical areas:
- Cancer Care Unit
- Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
- Infusion Clinic
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine Unit
- Medical Unit
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Operating Room (OR)
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pre/Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
- Surgical Unit
Watch Amity Addrisi report on Seattle Children’s Summer Nurse Camp for KING 5 HealthLink.
- Dates: July 15–19 (five consecutive days) due to this year’s weather
- Location: Seattle Children’s Hospital (main campus) and Seattle Children’s Research Institute (downtown Seattle)
- Hours: approximately 8 a.m.–4 p.m. each day
- Students must be entering their junior or senior year of high school in the fall of 2019 and be at least 16 years old.
- Students must reside in the Puget Sound area.
- Students must be available for the entire duration of Nurse Camp (five consecutive days).
- Students must be on time and stay for the duration of each day: 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
Submit a completed application packet and transcripts via email by April 15, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Nurse Camp Committee will select participants and notify all students via email in late April.
Thank you for your interest in Seattle Children’s Nurse Camp!