Science Education Department
About the Program
Since 2004, BioQuest Academy’s mission has been to educate and promote college-readiness, and to advance the science of infectious diseases and global health research. In October of 2018, BioQuest Academy joined the Science Education Department of Seattle Children’s Research Institute and became the newest instrument in our continuing mission to empower students to become the scientists of tomorrow.
Selected students will learn about how infectious pathogens interact with human hosts, and how scientists at Seattle Children’s Center for Global Infectious Disease Research are working towards new therapies and vaccines. Students will learn how to work in a research laboratory environment and prepare for a future career in biomedical research.
The Summer 2019 schedule is currently in development and will be posted in early Spring 2019. There will be three identical two-week sessions from late-June through mid-August.
BioQuest Academy is located at 307 Westlake Ave. N., Seattle, WA 98109.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a strong interest in infectious diseases and global health and in pursuing a career in research in science.
- Will have completed 11th grade and not have graduated from high school by the beginning of the program (rising senior).
- Is responsible, motivated, reliable and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Will be available for the entire duration of the session.
Our goal is to build a balanced, diverse, and inclusive cohort to promote collaborative learning. We strongly encourage you to apply if you belong to groups that are underrepresented in the STEM fields, such as African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Middle Eastern Americans, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, Hawaiian Natives and natives of the U.S. Pacific Islands, and other underrepresented groups including first-generation students seeking college, low-income groups, fostered youth, refugee youth, and others. All applicants will be evaluated objectively.
If there are any questions or concerns regarding these eligibility requirements, please email Science Education Department.
How to Apply
Complete the online application form and submit the following:
- Your contact information, including high school and school district
- Cover letter addressing all of the following topics:
- Why do you want to participate in BioQuest Academy at Seattle Children’s Research Institute?
- What is your interest in Infectious Diseases and Global Health?
- What are your college goals?
- Tell us about your desire and motivation to pursue a career in biomedical research.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or other professional, explaining why they think you would be a good fit for BioQuest Academy, plus their contact information
Applications for Summer 2019 will open in March 2019.
To learn more, please email the Science Education Department.
Thank you for your interest in BioQuest Academy at Seattle Children’s Research Institute!