Pediatric Bioethics Conference
2021 Conference: Pushing the Limits: Children, Athletics and Ethics
The Treuman Katz Center for Pediatric Bioethics hosted its 16th Annual Pediatric Bioethics Conference July 23–24, 2021. The conference examined the benefits and risks of athletic participation and dove into the implications of inclusion and fairness – or the lack thereof. Speakers discussed our roles as healthcare providers, parents and coaches in creating a healthy environment for children who participate in athletics, and examined a wide range of ethical issues raised by youth sports, with topics including:
- Has the line blurred between disciplined coaching and abuse?
- What is the role of bioethics in issues that go beyond medicine?
- What constitutes an unfair advantage?
- Has the business of youth athletics led to a “play gap”?
- What is the true purpose of youth athletics?
Watch videos from our 2021 conference.