Visiting Elective Program in Pediatric Surgery for Underrepresented in Medicine Medical Students
This Visiting Elective Program is a unique opportunity for fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine and surgery and are interested in pursuing a career in General Surgery or Pediatric Surgery and/or Pediatric Surgery subspecialties (Transplant, Colorectal, Oncology, etc.)
This elective will be awarded to two 4th year students annually. The elective is a one-month experience in the summer and fall months annually. Students will spend this time with the Pediatric General Surgery service at Seattle Children’s Hospital, a premiere free standing children’s hospital and one of the original 15 pediatric surgery training programs in the United States. The student will be integrated into the service including rounding on the ward patients, spending time in the operating room, and participation in educational conferences. The experience can be tailored to any of the student’s specific clinical interests. In addition to clinical exposure, this experience will provide exposure to mentorship and longitudinal assistance with career development from our Pediatric Surgery faculty and residents. A stipend of $2500 is included for travel, housing expenses, and meals.
- Encourage students to consider a career in Pediatric Surgery
- Enhance student awareness of opportunities in academic medicine
- Provide specific mentoring and networking for underrepresented students
Applicants for these funded positions should demonstrate academic excellence, leadership, and extracurricular experience, and must come from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in medicine including African American/Black, Alaska Native, American Indian, Hispanic/Latinx, Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders, and Southeast Asian descent. Those who apply to the program should be students who are highly motivated to pursue a career in General Surgery and have interest in Pediatric Surgery. Students must be in good standing at an LCME-accredited United States medical school. Applicants must provide the following:
- Brief statement of interest in Pediatric Surgery and the visiting rotation at Seattle Children’s Hospital (1000 word limit) reviewing your reasons for wanting to participate, your career goals, and how this experience would enhance those goals.
- Complete the VSLO application for the UW School of Medicine and apply to SURG 683
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a clinical faculty member.
- Medical School transcript
- USMLE Step 1 score and if already taken, also submit at Step 2 score report.
- Completed Diversity Funded Elective Application.
We will start accepting applications April 1st, 2022 for the AY22-AY23 year. Application materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be notified by June 24th of acceptance.