Medical Observership and Shadowing
Undergraduate Summer Experience: Stanley Stamm Summer Camp
Each August, Seattle Children’s Stanley Stamm Summer Camp gives nearly 100 children with chronic medical conditions the chance to go fishing, ride horses and take part in other typical summer camp activities at a week-long sleepover camp near Mt. Rainier.
This year we are combining our observation program with a week as a camp counselor at Stamm Camp. This will give students hands-on experience alongside Seattle Children’s Hospital staff with an opportunity to get an in-depth understanding of what it takes to care for our patients, both as a caregiver and a clinician.
We ask that you commit to attend for the entire week of August 11–August 16, and that you are able to share ideas, frustrations and observations within a group debrief every evening.
We understand that this is finals week for summer quarter. If you would like to participate but do not know your availability, please fill out the application below, and then complete this availability survey when you know your schedule.
Camp Volunteer Requirements
- Read and follow guidelines as printed in the camp handbook.
- Duties as assigned in cabin and program areas
- Assistance with camp activities and tasks as needed
- Assistance with loading and unloading campers on the bus from Seattle Children’s Magnuson Park satellite parking lot
- In a health-related college program
- Good verbal communication skills
- Able to share ideas, frustrations and observations openly and appropriately
- Good judgment in maintaining safety
- Have experience with or an interest in working with children with special healthcare needs
The deadline to submit this application is May 15. If you have any questions, please email Julie Povick.