Identifying Your Patient Population
It is important to consider some of the general demographics of the population that your hospital serves, as well as the services your hospital provides.
The following factors will play an important role in determining which equipment you choose, the screening protocol you follow, how you staff your program, and your follow-up procedures:
- Your annual number of live births
- The geographic area your hospital serves (large or small, rural or urban, etc.)
- The likelihood of patients to return for follow-up
- Whether your hospital has a NICU or serves well babies only.
- The average length of stay for newborns