Neonatal Nursing Education Briefs
Gastric Residuals in the Preterm Infant
Purpose and Goal: CNEP # 2039
- Understand the challenges of feeding preterm infants.
- Learn about gastric residuals as a sign of feeding intolerance.
None of the planners, faculty or content specialists has any conflict of interest or will be presenting any off-label product use. This presentation has no commercial support or sponsorship, nor is it co-sponsored.
Requirements for successful completion:
- Successfully complete the post-test
- Complete the evaluation form
- November 2018 – November 2020
- Describe the negative effects of withholding feeds.
- Describe the signs of feeding intolerance in the neonate.
- Identify 2 approaches for managing residuals in the NICU.
Read the Brief: Gastric Residuals in Preterm Infants
Download brief (PDF)