Safety and Injury Prevention
Adapted Swim Lessons – Class
Adapted swim lesson are for children 4 to 12 years of age who have developmental and physical differences. These lessons are best suited for children who need individual instruction. The lessons are taught one-on-one with an instructor who makes water-safety skills developmentally appropriate for each child.
Each swim lesson is 25 minutes long and the session goes for 6 weeks.
During the swim lesson time, the instructors will focus on water safety skills:
- Taking a rinse-off shower before entering the pool
- Walking on the pool deck
- Waiting for the instructor to tell them to enter the pool
- Listening to the teacher
- Putting their face in the water
- Face float
- Making forward progress in the water on their front
- Back float
- Making forward progress in the water on their back
- Exiting the pool when class is over
We encourage families to swim together at a pool in their community to help the swimmer gain confidence in the pool and improve their skills. This is great way to build on the skills that the swimmer is learning in their lessons.
In that time the instructor will work with the child and their family to learn water-safety and swimming skills as they are able.
Details and Cost
- Age: 4–12 years
- Cost: $135 per 6-week session.
- Class length: 25 minutes per week for 6 weeks
- Duration: Each child will have the opportunity to be in the swim lesson program for 10 sessions. Each session is 6 weeks long. Session registration does not have to be consecutive. Sessions will expire when the child turns 15.
- Students enrolled in the program prior to the Spring I 2017 session are eligible for 3 more sessions.
Registration for each session will start one week before the start of the session. To see available classes, click on the link to go to the registration website. Class offerings vary session to session. Registration is first come, first serve.
- Spring II, 2019 Session: April 15–May 25 (Registration opened April 5 at 11:30 a.m.)
- Summer I, 2019 Session: June 3–July 13 (Registration opens May 24 at 11:30 a.m.) Class dates and times are not yet available.
- Summer II, 2019 Session: July 22–August 31 (Registration opens July 12 at 11:30 a.m.) Class dates and times are not yet available.
- Fall I, 2019 Session: September 9–October 19 (Registration opens August 30 at 11:30 a.m.) Class dates and times are not yet available.