Refer a Patient
How to Refer a Patient
Updated May 2022
The Rehabilitation Psychology team reviews all referrals. If you need to locate or expedite a referral, please call 206-987-2219.
We are accepting new referrals for children and teens who need rehabilitation psychology or neuropsychology services for a medical illness or injury that affects their brain.
A referral is required. Outpatient mental health counseling is not available.
Wait times for appointments depend on the services your patient needs.
Please submit a referral that is complete. This helps us schedule your patient’s appointment in a timely manner and ensure their first visit is smooth and productive.
We may not schedule patients until a complete referral is received.
- Service/specialty clinic requested: Rehabilitation Psychology
- Reason for referral: What is the clinical question for the specialist?
- If the referral is urgent (see within 4 weeks) or routine (next available)
- ICD-10 Diagnosis – required
- Visit type:
- New patient consult, transfer of care, second opinion or return visit/ongoing care
- ALL relevant clinical documents:
- Clinic notes
- Medication history
- Growth charts/curves
- Lab reports
- Imaging and diagnostic reports
- Previous specialty evaluations
- Patient’s full name, DOB, sex, address, guardian contact information and insurance
- Referring provider’s name, phone, fax and the referral coordinator’s email address so that we may contact you if additional information is needed
- If an interpreter is needed
- Any known barriers to performing a successful telehealth (video) visit with the family
Submit a referral
- New Appointment Request Form (PDF) (DOC)
- Step-by-Step Guide to Submitting a Referral
- New Patient Referral FAQ
We’re committed to partnering with you
We are always available to answer questions and support your care of your patients.
- Diagnosis and treatment options: call 206-987-7777 (Provider-to-Provider Line).
- Referring or transporting a patient to our Emergency Department or Urgent Care: call 206-987-8899 or, toll-free, 866-987-8899 (Emergency Department Communications Center).
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children’s, including viewing your patient’s records.
What Your Patients Can Expect
- Once we receive your referral, your patient will be in our queue to review and schedule. Wait times depend on the reason for the referral.
- We review openings and the patient referral queue daily.
- We call families to schedule based on provider availability and the patient’s condition and acuity. Families can ask to be added to the wait list in case of cancellations.
- Patients with appointments can see how to prepare and what to expect at a visit to Rehabilitation Psychology.