Growth and Feeding Dynamics Clinic
What to Expect
Epic, Our New Electronic Health Record, Launched October 3
We are excited to launch Epic, our new electronic health record! You may notice us doing things differently, such as using more electronic devices and less paper. As always, your safety is our highest priority and we are here to answer any questions you may have.
If you have an upcoming appointment:
- Make sure to be at the registration desk no later than 15 minutes before your appointment. This may mean that you need to arrive at the clinic location 20–25 minutes before the appointment, so you can complete parking and entrance procedures before registration. This will help us ensure that your visit can begin on time.
- Bring your current medication list so we can check our records carefully and make sure everything is correct.
COVID-19: What to Expect for Your Child’s Safety at In-Person Appointments
We’ve made a lot of changes to our facilities to protect our patients, families and staff from covid-19. Every patient is allowed to have a maximum of one parent or caregiver accompany them. Everyone else, including siblings of any age, may not come along. When you come for your appointment, you will see that we’re requiring everyone to wear masks at all times, cleaning check-in and registration desks between visits, screening for symptoms at all entrances and have set up our spaces to encourage social distancing. Watch what to expect at your clinic visit during COVID-19 (video). Learn more about the rest of the safety measures we have in place.
- Fill out a Growth and Feeding Dynamics Clinic Questionnaire (PDF) (Spanish). This lets us get to know your child better. Please fill it out as completely as you can.
- Fill out a Growth and Feeding Dynamics Clinic Food Intake Record (PDF) (Spanish). Include at least 1 weekend day (Saturday or Sunday). We will analyze the record to learn about the calories and nutrition your child gets.
- We will send a blank questionnaire and food intake record to you by email or postal mail when we schedule your child’s appointment. Or you can print them using the links above.
- Scan or take pictures of your completed forms. Email the scans or pictures to us at least 2 weeks before your appointment.
- Learn more about what to do before your appointment.
We see children ages 1 through 4 who are not growing quickly enough or who have difficulty feeding.
A registered dietitian nutritionist and occupational therapist will see your child.
You will meet with a registered dietitian nutritionist and occupational therapist (OT) in the Occupational Therapy Department on Ocean 8. We will:
- Weigh and measure your child.
- Have a snack with your child. This lets the OT evaluate your child’s oral-motor, sensory and swallowing skills.
- Talk with you about questions and concerns related to your child’s growth and eating.
- Recommend a treatment plan.
A clinic visit is about 90 minutes.
- Your child, somewhat hungry. We want your child to be a little hungry so we can have a snack during your visit.
- Food your child will eat and food your child will not eat yet. Our clinic is a peanut-free area, so please do not bring peanuts, peanut butter or food with peanuts.
- Your child’s plate, cup, fork or other items, if this will help your child feel more at ease about eating.
- Your completed questionnaire and food intake record, if you did not already email them to us.
Growth and feeding issues can be complex and take time to change. We often recommend ongoing feeding therapy — either at Seattle Children’s or in your community — and follow-up visits with a registered dietitian nutritionist. If your child needs feeding therapy, visits might be as often as weekly or less often, such as once a month.
We will make sure you leave the appointment with detailed instructions about what is happening next. If we recommend follow-up visits, we will explain this and tell you how to schedule.
We will try to answer all of your questions. We will give you phone numbers to call us if you have questions after you leave.
Please call Occupational Therapy at 206-987-2113, option 2, as soon as possible. This allows us to give the appointment time to another family.
- Find your location in our map and directions section.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to allow time for registration.
- For more information on visiting Seattle Children’s clinics, please see Your Child's Clinic Visit.
For more information, contact Growth and Feeding Dynamics by calling Occupational Therapy at 206-987-2113, option 2. If you would like an appointment, ask your child’s primary care provider for a referral.
Providers, see how to refer a patient.