Refer a Patient
How to Refer a Patient
If you are unsure about whether to refer your patient, please call our Clinical Intake Nurses at 206-987-2080, option 1.
Updated April 2020
We are accepting new referrals. A referral is not required, but will help us serve your patient better. We currently do not have appointments available, but encourage you to submit a referral so that we can put your patient in our queue and call them when an opening is available. We are continuing to connect with families for phone intakes and to provide resources at this time. We are also reviewing referrals to prioritize urgent patients.
It may take 3 to 6 months for the patient to be seen for their initial clinic appointment. We hope to reduce wait times by later this year.
Please submit a referral that is complete. This helps us schedule your patient’s appointment in a timely manner and ensure their first visit is smooth and productive.
We may not schedule patients until a complete referral is received.
- Reason for referral: what is the clinical question for the specialist?
- If the referral is urgent (see within 4 weeks) or routine (next available)
- ICD-10 Diagnosis – required
- Visit type:
- New patient consult, transfer of care, second opinion, or return visit/ongoing care
- ALL relevant clinical documents
- Clinic notes
- Medication history
- Growth charts/curves
- Lab reports
- Imaging and diagnostic reports
- Previous specialty evaluations
- Patient’s full name, DOB, sex, address, guardian contact information and insurance
- Referring provider’s name, phone, fax and the referral coordinator’s email address so that we may contact you if additional information is needed
- Preferred clinic location
- If an interpreter is needed
- Any known barriers to performing a successful telehealth (video) visit with the family
Submit a referral
- New Appointment Request Form (PDF) (DOC)
- Step-by-Step Guide to Submitting a Referral
- New Patient Referral FAQ
Please call our Clinical Intake Nurses if you need assistance: 206-987-2080.
We’re committed to partnering with you
- Diagnosis and treatment options: call 206-987-7777 (Provider-to-Provider Line).
- Referring or transporting a patient to our Emergency Department or Urgent Care: call 206-987-8899 or, toll-free, 866-987-8899 (Emergency Department Communications Center).
- Questions about scheduling and referrals, including locating or expediting a referral: call 206-987-2080 (Clinical Intake Nurses).
Learn more about managing your patients at Seattle Children’s, including viewing your patient’s records.