Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine
Prepare for Your Visit to Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine
If your child is coming to Seattle Children’s to start clinic-based (outpatient) mental health care, please follow the steps on this page.
Complete an Information Form
- Test results from clinics other than Children’s
- Assistive devices your child uses, if they relate to the reason for your visit
Arrive on Time
- If you are more than 10 minutes late, we may need to reschedule your visit.
- If you cannot come to your visit, call us and give as much notice as you can.
- If you miss a new patient visit, we will close your referral and cancel subsequent visits. We will offer you referrals to other mental health providers within the community.
- If you miss or cancel a visit with less than 24 hours' notice three times, we will no longer be able to serve you and your child at our clinic. We will refer you back to your primary care provider and offer you referrals to other mental health providers in the community.
Plan for the Time Your Visit Will Take
- Therapy visits last 45 to 50 minutes.
- Most visits about medicine last 20 to 50 minutes.