About Seattle Children’s
Seattle Children’s Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council
Seattle Children’s established a Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council (HEDI) to address systemic racism and inequities experienced by our patients, families and workforce.
The HEDI Council is a cross-functional team of 19 members that work collaboratively to champion, advance and support the work of six HEDI Committees. Members of the HEDI Council and the six HEDI Committees include a diverse range of Seattle Children’s executives; Family Advisors; active equity, diversity and inclusion leaders both formally and informally; subject matter experts; Inclusion Network leaders and participants; and community partners.
This visual summarizes how the organization-wide commitments detailed in the Health Equity and Anti-Racism Action Plan will be accomplished and reported on through the Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council. Click on each topic to learn more.
The first quarterly progress report on the Health Equity and Anti-Racism Action Plan was released on December 9, 2021.
Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council Objectives
- To monitor progress in six priority areas designed to achieve the target outcomes defined in the Health Equity and Anti-Racism Action Plan
- To facilitate the integration of several concurrent strategic equity, diversity and inclusion and anti-racism initiatives at Seattle Children’s and to ensure accountability for achieving health equity, creating a culture of inclusion and mitigating the impact of racial bias
- To communicate regularly with internal and external stakeholders to report progress on these initiatives with transparency
- To identify new and emerging best practices that support Seattle Children’s work to further anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion and recommend how these can be integrated into our operations, services and care delivery
Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council Committees
The six committees represent the following focus areas:
- Patient and Family Experience
- Workforce Experience
- Policy Review
- Data Analysis and Transparency
- Education and Leadership
- Communication and Community Engagement
Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Council Members
- Three representatives from each of the six Committees listed above will serve on the HEDI Council. One of those members will be a Senior Vice President. The other members may be a family advisor, community partner or a workforce member involved in the Inclusion Networks or other equity, diversity, inclusion and anti-racism work.
- Chair: Andrew Lee, Vice President and Chief Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Officer
- Executive Sponsor: Myra Gregorian, Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer