The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is a Seattle Children's Research Institute committee established for the review and oversight of biological research.
The IBC reports to the president.
The IBC is responsible for:
- Reviewing and approving recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid research conducted at Seattle Children's Research Institute
- Ensuring the safe use of these materials with respect to the staff, community and environment
- Investigating incidents and violations of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Guidelines
- Setting containment levels as specified by the NIH Guidelines
- Emergency response planning for accidental spills and contamination in the course of research