STEM High School Internship Program
Please note: The deadline for 2016 STEM internship applications has passed. Applications for next year will be available in March 2017.
About the Program
Seattle Children’s Research Institute is committed to cultivating an inclusive and diverse workforce, and inspiring the next generation of scientists, physicians and healthcare workers. During the summer, our Science Education Department offers high school students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to apply for a paid internship position at Seattle Children’s Research Institute.
Selected interns engage in cutting-edge research, work with leading research scientists, learn essential laboratory skills and take part in workshops on ethics, presentation skills and interview skills. This internship provides students with a solid foundation for a future in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Also, quarterly meetups are held throughout the year to further develop skills and knowledge.
The program does not provide or arrange housing for interns.
Please note that this internship is best suited for students interested in laboratory research. Please visit the High School and Youth Service Projects or Summer Nurse Camp pages if you are interested in positions at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
To learn more about other internships and training opportunities at Seattle Children’s Research Institute, please visit the Office for Training, Education, and Research.
- Dates: 2017 program dates to be announced soon
- Location: Seattle Children’s Research Institute (map)
- Hours: Approximately 9 a.m.–4 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Must have completed 11th grade but not graduated high school by the beginning of the internship
- Strong interest in science and in pursuing a career in science
- Be responsible, reliable, and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Be available for the entire duration of the program
- Be on time and stay for the duration of each day
How to Apply
The online application for 2017 opens March 1, 2017, and closes at 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2017.
Applicants must provide the following:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in participating in this internship
- One teacher or professional recommendation
- High-school transcript
The STEM Internship Committee will select participants and notify all students via email by May 1, 2017.
To learn more, please email us.
Thank you for your interest in Seattle Children’s Research Institute’s STEM Internship Program!