Condition or Therapy:
Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine; Nutrition
What is the goal of this study?
Researchers at Seattle Children’s want to find ways to help parents and their kids better manage their weight.
Who can join the study?
The SHIFT study might be a good fit for your family if:
- Your child is 7-11 years old and is heavy for their age and gender
- At least one of your child’s parents is overweight
- You and your child speak English
- Both you and your child are not in any treatment that affects weight or growth
Please take our short survey to see if you are eligible for this study.
What happens in the study?
If you and your child decide to take part in the study, both you and your child would:
- Participate in family-based behavioral weight control treatment sessions every week for 5 months
- Attend sessions in the evening for 90 minutes at one of our clinics
- Get measurements of weight, height, and waist size before receiving any treatment
- Get measurements taken throughout the study and after the behavioral treatment
- Complete some surveys and interviews
- Get up to $125 in gift cards as a thank you for your time for completing all the assessments
After the study, some parents might be invited to work with the next group of families to help them use the skills they learned to be successful in weight management.
Who can I contact for information or to enroll?
Email the research coordinator.
Bellevue Clinic and Surgery Center, Seattle Children's Everett, South Clinic in Federal Way; Seattle Children's Research Institute West 8th
Dr. Brian Saelens