Condition or Therapy:
Mindfulness for parents and caregivers
Child Health, Behavior and Development
What is the goal of this study?
Watch this 1-minute video of Shayla Collins, parent facilitator, talking about the class and research study.
Our research team is offering a 5-week class for parents and caregivers of children with health conditions, disabilities, and mental or behavioral health conditions.
We are also doing a research study to see if the class is helpful. The goal of any research study is to answer questions. We are doing this research study to answer the following questions:
- How do parents and caregivers find strength, joy and thankfulness? What do they do to cope with worries and hard situations?
- Does the way parents and caregivers feel about difficult situations, worries, and joyful or thankful moments change after taking the class?
- Does this class help parents and caregivers feel better about life in general and their relationships with their child and their family?
- Is it possible for parents or caregivers of children with health conditions, disabilities, or mental or behavioral health conditions to attend this 5-week class?
Who can join the study?
This study might be a good fit for you if you:
- Would like to learn skills to help with worries or stress related to your child’s health or well-being.
- Have a child with a health condition, disability or mental or behavioral health condition.
- Have a child with Medicaid insurance or who is uninsured, or who receives free or reduced lunch at school.
What happens in the study?
You would come to five evening classes and one half day weekend class with other parents or caregivers where you could:
connect with other parents or caregivers of kids with health conditions, disabilities, or mental or behavioral health conditions.
- Learn skills to help with worries and hard situations, such as mindfulness and breathing techniques.
- Learn ways to enjoy special moments with your child and family.
- Learn ways to be easier on yourself.
For the research, you would answer questionnaires and you could also take part in up to two interviews before and after the program.
The first session of classes is on Friday evenings from March 9 to April 6 at Open Doors for Multicultural Families located at 24437 Russell Rd. Suite 110, Kent, WA. Snacks will be served at 6 p.m. and the class will be 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. The class also includes a retreat on Saturday, March 31 from 3 to 6:30 p.m.
A second session will be offered in New Holly in May. Please stay tuned for dates.
Who can I contact for information or to enroll?
To learn more, you can:
The classes will be held at the Lee House in Seattle and Open Doors for Multicultural Families in Kent. Interviews and surveys would be completed by phone or in person at a location that the participant chooses.