Condition or Therapy:
Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
Endocrinology and Diabetes
What is the goal of this study?
We want to understand why some people get diabetes and others don’t. We also want to learn more about how diabetes develops.
Knowing more about diabetes will help us to understand other diseases that might be related to diabetes. We hope that by understanding what is happening in the immune system before, during and after a person develops diabetes, we can prevent or better treat diabetes in the future.
Who can join the study?
This study might be a good fit if you or your child:
- Has been diagnosed with diabetes
- Is 1-20 years
- Receives diabetes care at Seattle Children’s
What happens in the study?
If you choose to take part in this study, you or your child would come in for a study visit (about 1 hour).
At the visit we would:
- Ask you about your experiences with diabetes
- Ask about your family medical history
- Collect a blood sample. We can often use the same blood sample from your regular diabetes clinic visit to avoid an extra poke.
We might also ask you to come back for follow-up visits.
Who can I contact for information or to enroll?
Email the research coordinator.
Seattle Children's Hospital main campus
Dr. Cate Pihoker
Learn more about Dr. Pihoker's research.