Dr. Jane Burns
directs the Center for Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Microbiology - a College of American Pathologists-certified laboratory that provides state-of-the-art microbiology support to CF researchers.
The plates required for processing of five quantitative cultures using selective media for the most common organisms isolated from CF respiratory specimens.
The laboratory has served as a core laboratory for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's
Therapeutics Development Network
(TDN) since 1998. The TDN is a nationwide network of clinical research centers that conduct clinical trials to evaluate new CF therapies.
The laboratory provides expertise in the isolation, quantitation, identification and susceptibility testing of CF-specific pathogens in respiratory tract samples. Before the TDN was established, the laboratory performed all of the microbiology for the Phase 3 clinical trials of inhaled tobramycin. The laboratory has performed microbiology assays on more than 10,000 samples for many additional studies, including Phase 1, 2 and 3 trials for industry as well as investigator-initiated studies.
Burns has worked in the area of CF microbiology since 1986. As part of her work, she has validated conventional antibiotic susceptibility testing methods for use in CF microbiology, developed novel susceptibility assays, helped standardize CF culture techniques and developed new identification schema for CF pathogens.
Anne Marie Buccat is the CF bench supervisor and supervises all the day-to-day work performed in the laboratory. She has been instrumental in developing new techniques, standardizing operating procedures and working with investigators from both academia and industry to develop laboratory protocols.
Dr. Xuan Qin
, the director of the clinical microbiology laboratory at Seattle Children's, works closely with Burns and Buccat and has been instrumental in bringing new technology to the laboratory.
For more information, please contact Dr. Jane Burns
or at 206-987-2073.
- Tullis DE, Burns JL, Retsch-Bogart GZ, Bresnik M, Henig NR, Lewis SA and Lipuma JJ. Inhaled aztreonam for chronic Burkholderia infection in cystic fibrosis: A placebo-controlled trial. J Cyst Fibros, 2013; available on-line 10/28/2013; in press.
- Clancy JP, Dupont L, Konstan MW, Billings J, Fustik S, Goss CH, Lymp J, Minic P, Quittner AL, Rubenstein RC, Young KR, Saiman L, Burns JL, Govan JR, Ramsey B and Gupta R. Phase II studies of nebulised Arikace in CF patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. Thorax 68(9):818-825, 2013. PMC3756431.
- Mayer-Hamblett N, Kronmal RA, Gibson RL, Rosenfeld M, Retsch-Bogart G, Treggiari MM, Burns JL, Khan U and Ramsey BW. Initial Pseudomonas aeruginosa treatment failure is associated with exacerbations in cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol 47(2):125-134, 2012. PMC3214247.
- Saiman L, Mayer-Hamblett N, Anstead M, Lands LC, Kloster M, Goss CH, Rose LM, Burns JL, Marshall BC and Ratjen F. Open-label, follow-on study of azithromycin in pediatric patients with CF uninfected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Pediatr Pulmonol 47(7):641-648, 2012.
- Moskowitz SM, Emerson JC, McNamara S, Shell RD, Orenstein DM, Rosenbluth D, Katz MF, Ahrens R, Hornick D, Joseph PM, Gibson RL, Aitken ML, Benton WW and Burns JL. Randomized trial of biofilm testing to select antibiotics for cystic fibrosis airway infection. Pediatr Pulmonol 46(2):184-192, 2011. PMC3479399.
- Green N, Burns JL, Mayer-Hamblett N, Kloster M, Lands LC, Anstead M, Ratjen F and Saiman L. Lack of association of small-colony-variant Staphylococcus aureus strains with long-term use of azithromycin in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Clin Microbiol 49(7):2772-2773, 2011. PMC3147847.
- Treggiari MM, Retsch-Bogart G, Mayer-Hamblett N, Khan U, Kulich M, Kronmal R, Williams J, Hiatt P, Gibson RL, Spencer T, Orenstein D, Chatfield BA, Froh DK, Burns JL, Rosenfeld M and Ramsey BW. Comparative efficacy and safety of 4 randomized regimens to treat early Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in children with cystic fibrosis. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 165(9):847-856, 2011.
- Emerson J, McNamara S, Buccat AM, Worrell K and Burns JL. Changes in cystic fibrosis sputum microbiology in the United States between 1995 and 2008. Pediatr Pulmonol 45(4):363-370, 2010.
- Saiman L, Anstead M, Mayer-Hamblett N, Lands LC, Kloster M, Hocevar-Trnka J, Goss CH, Rose LM, Burns JL, Marshall BC and Ratjen F. Effect of azithromycin on pulmonary function in patients with cystic fibrosis uninfected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 303(17):1707-1715, 2010.
- Retsch-Bogart GZ, Burns JL, Otto KL, Liou TG, McCoy K, Oermann C and Gibson RL. A phase 2 study of aztreonam lysine for inhalation to treat patients with cystic fibrosis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. Pediatr Pulmonol 43(1):47-58, 2008.
- Gibson RL, Emerson J, Mayer-Hamblett N, Burns JL, McNamara S, Accurso FJ, Konstan MW, Chatfield BA, Retsch-Bogart G, Waltz DA, Acton J, Zeitlin P, Hiatt P, Moss R, Williams J and Ramsey BW. Duration of treatment effect after tobramycin solution for inhalation in young children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol 42(7):610-623, 2007.
- Gibson RL, Retsch-Bogart GZ, Oermann C, Milla C, Pilewski J, Daines C, Ahrens R, Leon K, Cohen M, McNamara S, Callahan TL, Markus R and Burns JL. Microbiology, safety, and pharmacokinetics of aztreonam lysinate for inhalation in patients with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol 41(7):656-665, 2006.
- Qin X, Emerson J, Stapp J, Stapp L, Abe P and Burns JL. Use of real-time PCR with multiple targets to identify Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other nonfermenting gram-negative bacilli from patients with cystic fibrosis. J Clin Microbiol 41(9):4312-4317, 2003. PMC193801.
- Ordonez CL, Henig NR, Mayer-Hamblett N, Accurso FJ, Burns JL, Chmiel JF, Daines CL, Gibson RL, McNamara S, Retsch-Bogart GZ, Zeitlin PL and Aitken ML. Inflammatory and microbiologic markers in induced sputum after intravenous antibiotics in cystic fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168(12):1471-1475, 2003.
- Saiman L, Marshall BC, Mayer-Hamblett N, Burns JL, Quittner AL, Cibene DA, Coquillette S, Fieberg AY, Accurso FJ and Campbell PW, 3rd. Azithromycin in patients with cystic fibrosis chronically infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 290(13):1749-1756, 2003.
- Ramsey BW, Pepe MS, Quan JM, Otto KL, Montgomery AB, Williams-Warren J, Vasiljev KM, Borowitz D, Bowman CM, Marshall BC, Marshall S and Smith AL for the Cystic Fibrosis Inhaled Tobramycin Study Group (Burns JL). Intermittent administration of inhaled tobramycin in patients with cystic fibrosis. N Engl J Med 340(1):23-30, 1999.
- Burns JL, Van Dalfsen JM, Shawar RM, Otto KL, Garber RL, Quan JM, Montgomery AB, Albers GM, Ramsey BW, Smith AL: Effect of chronic intermittent administration of inhaled tobramycin on respiratory microbial flora in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Infect Dis 179:1190-1196, 1999.